FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

How to choose a MicroController

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Microcontroller Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: How to choose a MicroController Reply with quote

"It used to be that the number of different microcontroller chips available to the hobbyist was pretty limited. You got to use whatever you could manage to buy from the mail-order chip dealer, and that narrowed down the choice to a small number of chips.

But times have changed. Digikey lists over 16000 different line items under a "microcontroller" search. Which one should a hobbyist with no particular prior experience choose?

Here are some hints. These are particularly aimed at someone trying to pick a microcontroller to use for the first time at least partially as a learning experience, rather than someone who wants to accomplish a particular task."

http://www.instructables.com/id/EKRQRQHQDIEWH1IMC9/?ALLSTEPS

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good info Alan. I know I have received a PM or two asking about stuff like this.
LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this on the upcomming digg mod page

good stuff Smile
sci-3d

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an excellent article.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing it didn't mention that I wish it had was that much cheaper "knock offs" for high dollar equipment like the ICD2 are available at a tenth of the price, and they usually work just as well.
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nginuity wrote:
The only thing it didn't mention that I wish it had was that much cheaper "knock offs" for high dollar equipment like the ICD2 are available at a tenth of the price, and they usually work just as well.

That would have been a great thing to add. I got a MElabs programmer, and later realized that for the price I paid I could have gotten a full ICD. Oh well, live and learn.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BronzeG3 wrote:
That would have been a great thing to add. I got a MElabs programmer, and later realized that for the price I paid I could have gotten a full ICD. Oh well, live and learn.

Not to mention that all of Microchips programmers are not compatible with every chip. That is an important determination to look at when buying a programmer. For instance, my PICKit2 wont do a lot of what my ICD2 will do.
Static

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you folks have any advice on the best PIC programmer to purchase? I'm a rank amateur but I'm looking towards something that will let me start small, but will allow me to work with the more advanced processors later on.

Is the ICD2 the way to go? I'd rather go with a USB system, but at this point I'm willing to take what I can get. Price is a major concern (Former fed, now a college student), but something that I can probably save for.

What about these programmers on eBay?
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Static wrote:
Is the ICD2 the way to go? I'd rather go with a USB system, but at this point I'm willing to take what I can get. Price is a major concern (Former fed, now a college student), but something that I can probably save for.

What about these programmers on eBay?

Well, I am not sure what exactly you are going to be working on, but the ICD2 was a good start for me. The one I got was a knockoff ICD2 on Ebay. Be careful though, there are a lot of programmers out there that can't supply the needed power. You can always build your own, but the major problem is always how to set up the ICSP header.
MakeThisSense
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so helpful! Thanks a ton! Very Happy
JohanKrava

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article!
Thanks. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Microcontroller Resources All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: