FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

17 kilo hertz buzzer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogsrcool2me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: 17 kilo hertz buzzer Reply with quote

I have a basic understanding of electronics. Can some one point me in the right direction on how to make a 17 kilo hertz buzzer.

Thank you

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like a piezo buzzer, or a speaker buzzer?
dogsrcool2me

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pizo would obviously be easier but I couldn't find the right one so speaker buzzer is what I will be building it with
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright,if you are just wanting to generate a tone to a speaker, you just basically need to build an oscillator. There are several out there, but the most common are Hartley, Colpitts, and Crystal Controlled.

Even better, now that I think about it, I was toying around in the junk room, and I came across my old morse code practice oscillator (That I built in an altoids tin, just so you know!), and it seems like a perhaps easier method for your application. It uses a 555 timer to make the circuit oscillate, in a sense. The only catch that you come upon is that because the 555 timer is a digital device, it will put out a square wave instead of a sine wave, which will actually work to your advantage, because sine waves at higher frequencies get funky.

Parts List (dont go buy them yet, we're gonna modify this):
IC1- 555 timer
R1 - 150k (change to 1K)
R2 - 1K (see below)
C1 - 10 uF electrolytic
C2 - .01 uF ceramic disc
Speaker
9V battery clip (or a 9v DC source)

Here is a quick schematic of the oscillator. Just replace the "key" part with a push button, or whatever you were going to use:

Now, looking at the schematic, in regard to the frequency of the 555 timer, you get the desired frequency by modifying the values of R1, R2, and C2.

The formula is: Frequency = 1.44 / ( (R1+R2+R2) * C), which is derived from f = 1/(.693 x C x (R1 + 2 x R2)) if anyone isn't used to seeing it that way for simplicity, so for the frequency of 17KHz, you end up needing to change R1 to a 1K ohm, and C2 stays the same. For R2, which is somewhere between 3.73 and 3.74K ohm resistance, I suggest you install a potentiometer capable of 500ohm to 1K flexibility in series with 3K worth of resistors to make your finite adjustments to bring it up to 17Khz. In the process of this, I found a neat 555 calculator that I am thinking about mirroring with permission:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/555.htm

Last, if anyone finds any errors in the schematic, and more importantly, an error in the math, please, let me know! I'm not perfect. Smile

Have fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: