FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Cryo Mouse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: LED Cryo Mouse Reply with quote

hey everyone..

I'm a big noob and probably deserve a head shot for asking this question.. but i'm realllly having a tough time with the basics.. I seem completely out to lunch..

After watching the latest episode and seeing wess's little mouse mod... it brought up an itch i've been having for a long time.. Not down there.. more up on my head...... wait.. i'm digging a hole so i'll just get to the point..

been wanting to do this mouse mod for a looong time.. saw it on metku mods.. here's the link:
http://www.metku.net/index.html?path=mods/cryo/index_eng

Now i've already started.. and have modded the mouse and put the double pane window sanding the window and looks really nice.. but it comes to soldering the bright Blue LED to the mouse.. I removed the old one and put a bright Blue Led in it's place.. I get nothing from it.. Here's the mouse board... The led on the far right is the blue one..

http://static.flickr.com/107/314446847_5d7e784ca5_o.jpg

i'm sorry for the low quality images.. my digi cam sucks..

here's my question.. I get the impression that by now I should have used a resistor.. and the LED might be gone.. so I should probably remove it.. and use the USB connector thingy (located near the led in photo above)... But How..

I tried using the calculator on alan parekh's site.. but without knowing the correct values.. i'm lost at sea...

http://alan-parekh.com/led_resistor_calculator.html

i guess from reading all the stuff that the mouse is USB and 5.5 volts aka supply voltage??

but whats voltage drop across LED.
whats would I want as a desired current in milliamps??

Do i need to buy hookup wire:
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/10/products_id/66

if so? do I only need to use only two ends?

I apologize again for all these questions.. but if you can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated as well..

Thanks Again.

Gwildor

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: LED Cryo Mouse Reply with quote

gwildor wrote:

i guess from reading all the stuff that the mouse is USB and 5.5 volts aka supply voltage??

but whats voltage drop across LED.
whats would I want as a desired current in milliamps??

Hey man, hak5 is cool isn't it? Very Happy

Anyway, what kind of LED's are you using? That will delegate your current consumption and voltage drop.
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the hak5 Smile

actually I was thinking of buying some LEDs from Alan's store.. but I think I have some 8000 mcd Blue LEDs

so i'm assuming once I find out what the consumtion drop is.. If I wanted to use more LEDs.. then i just multiple consumption by amount of LEDs?
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwildor wrote:
so i'm assuming once I find out what the consumtion drop is.. If I wanted to use more LEDs.. then i just multiple consumption by amount of LEDs?

Why not just use the calculator for multiples? Are you putting them in series of parallel of each other? That is where your led count will fit into the equation.

For series, the equation to get the correct resistance is:

r = (v1 - v2*ln) / (a/1000)

where r is resistance, v1 is supply voltage, v2 is voltage drop and a is current in milliamps.

For parallel, the equation is:
r = (v1 - v2) / (a*ln/1000)

So, you multiply the number of LEDs by the voltage drop for a series circuit, but multiply it by the amperage in a parallel circuit.

Use the calculator though, it is much faster and will give you the nearest resistor to use.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cool project, are you wanting the mouse to work still? Or just light up when plugged into a USB port?
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the calculator...

I'm using the USB connector for Power.. So 5V right?

I'm using a Bright Blue LED 8000 mcd.. I think it says Volts Across are 2.0 ~ 2.4 so in the calculator I put

And 2.4 Volts Across @ 30 mA..

Does this sound right??

And the Calculator says 100Ohm...

If these calculations are Right.. Now comes the point of Where do I solder this stuff..

From the Metku Mod description.. I solder them under the board of the mouse by the Big Black capasitor.. But my mouse is different from the one in the Mod...

Can i use the USB connector for both the mouse and LED project?

Here take a look at this.. this is what i'm thinking..

1. this is the Blue LED.. but Its not working.. i'm going to remove it and try to solder something in it's place..
2. this is the capacitor the mod is talking about modding the LED to.. but I don't see why I need to..
3. is the USB cord.. But I'm clueless.

I hope this makes some sense....
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Looks like a cool project, are you wanting the mouse to work still? Or just light up when plugged into a USB port?

I'd still like for the mouse to work after.. Smile Lan Party mouse perhaps?? Then I can make a Lego Case.. Smile

I think i'm going to replace the Star Wars Lego Dude with A Pirate Lego Guy.. Arrrrrrrrr!!
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwildor wrote:
I used the calculator...

I'm using the USB connector for Power.. So 5V right?

I'm using a Bright Blue LED 8000 mcd.. I think it says Volts Across are 2.0 ~ 2.4 so in the calculator I put

And 2.4 Volts Across @ 30 mA..

Does this sound right??

And the Calculator says 100Ohm...

If these calculations are Right.. Now comes the point of Where do I solder this stuff..

From the Metku Mod description.. I solder them under the board of the mouse by the Big Black capasitor.. But my mouse is different from the one in the Mod...

Can i use the USB connector for both the mouse and LED project?

Here take a look at this.. this is what i'm thinking..

1. this is the Blue LED.. but Its not working.. i'm going to remove it and try to solder something in it's place..
2. this is the capacitor the mod is talking about modding the LED to.. but I don't see why I need to..
3. is the USB cord.. But I'm clueless.

I hope this makes some sense....

For most of our LEDs we have taken the guess work (and calculations) out of the equation. Have a look here:
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/4_6/products_id/15

The voltage that you have doesn't sounds like it is for a blue LED, it sounds like a voltage drop for an LED in the red family (red, orange, yellow...). Blue, white etc. usually have larger drops. More like 3.3 Volts is common.

There is a section that show the correct resistor based on voltage. You are correct USB is 5 volts. There are 4 wires total, two for power and two for data.

The power wires are usually colored red for positive and black for negative.
http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml

If you still want the mouse to work simply follow the red and black wire connections and take your power from a board location that is convenient.
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent *mr burns accent*

You're right.. My blue LEDs are 3.5V.. I bought them from FrozenCPU and paid 1.5 US for each one.. *stomps feet in anger*

I'll still need a resistor right.. using the calculator i can use a 68 Ohm one?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwildor wrote:
Excellent *mr burns accent*

You're right.. My blue LEDs are 3.5V.. I bought them from FrozenCPU and paid 1.5 US for each one.. *stomps feet in anger*

I'll still need a resistor right.. using the calculator i can use a 68 Ohm one?

Yes, a 68 ohm resistor will work well if your LED is a 30mA LED (such as ours is). If it is a 20mA LED I would use a 100 ohm resistor.
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill be buying some resistors from the store & some LEDs.. prices are cdn or us?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwildor wrote:
Ill be buying some resistors from the store & some LEDs.. prices are cdn or us?

We are Canadian but prices are in US since most of our customers are US. There is a currency selection box in the bottom right of most pages.
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca
gwildor
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i got my stuff from the store yesterday.. woot! so tonight i'm going to get to working on this.. but I just wanted to ask two quick questions.

is it ok to solder things to the bottom of the board??

does this look right?

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey man, it is a hack! Of course it is okay Smile
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwildor wrote:
so i got my stuff from the store yesterday.. woot! so tonight i'm going to get to working on this.. but I just wanted to ask two quick questions.

is it ok to solder things to the bottom of the board??

does this look right?

Let us know how it looks when it is done! And remember that the short lead or lead indicated by a flat spot is negative.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: