FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Student in need of LED lighting help!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Student in need of LED lighting help!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys (and girls), i am currently doing a lighting project at uni, involving leds. I'm useless with electronics, and everyone i ask seems to not know what they are talking about.
Basically my design involves four 'pods'. Each pod 'will' have two super bright leds, powered by a rechargeable battery. The pods, will charge off the main base. (i.e. four pods charging from a mains powered base.) The idea is for the pods to be on when they are in the base, then when removed, they can be switched on or off. (portable ligh source in other words)
How do i go about wiring a cirucit for this (i know the two leds in each pod have to be in series, and the pods have to be in parallel, but thats all i 'know')
I know it is complicated, but time is running out!
Any Helpers PLEASE.

Toby (DeMontfort Uni)

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give specs on the LED's you want to use? As in, voltage draw, and how much current they use?
Toby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: any info is greatly appreciated! Reply with quote

Thanks Nginuity...That would be really good of you...erm don't know how to go about doing it but, my email address is kingp_toby@hotmail.com.

I tried to get some parts today to start making this circuit, and the guy at maplins basically just laughed at me!lol...think i'm being a bit too ambitious so may have to change the way this light works. In terms of info, anything is helpful!!

Thanks again
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am getting the concept right all you will need to do is use some diode blocking in your charging circuit.

I haven't wired this up but if you have a 2 terminal charging connection to each pod.
* Then take the negative of the charging power and common it to the cathodes of the LEDs and to the negative of the battery you are wanting to charge.
* Next take the positive through a series diode and current limiting resistors (one per LED) to the anodes of the LEDs. This will allow the LEDs to be turned on when the unit is plugged in.
* Lastly take the positive of the charging power through a diode and a charge current limiting resistor to the positive of the battery.

And then of course you will have current limiting resistors and switch on the pod going from the battery positive to the anodes of the LEDs to turn it on using battery power.

Again I haven't wired this up but it "should" work out of the box... Cool
Toby

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks Alan... Reply with quote

Thanks Alan...like i say, i know little about LEDs etc etc, but what you said sounds at the very least, feasible!...I'll have to see what i can do with what you have recommended...at the end of the day, its all about trials, and test rigs, till you get what you want, and this could well be the start of that process.
I will let you know, how it goes (if at all.lol) but any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Thanks again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: