FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

faraday flashlight hack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BRUCErulz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: faraday flashlight hack Reply with quote

I would like to use the circuit from a faraday flashlight and a computer cooling fan to add lights to my windmill. My computer fan will produce up to a couple of volts dc when turned in a nice breeze. I tried to use that current to charge the capacitor on the faraday circuit in place of the magnet and coil. Nothing doing? What am I missing here? (besides a through knowledge of the electronics world)

thanks- BRUCE

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: faraday flashlight hack Reply with quote

BRUCErulz wrote:
I would like to use the circuit from a faraday flashlight and a computer cooling fan to add lights to my windmill. My computer fan will produce up to a couple of volts dc when turned in a nice breeze. I tried to use that current to charge the capacitor on the faraday circuit in place of the magnet and coil. Nothing doing? What am I missing here? (besides a through knowledge of the electronics world)

thanks- BRUCE

When the fan is spinning continuously does the LED light up. If it does then all you will need to do is install a diode in series with one of the charging wires from the fan to the circuit being charged. This will prevent the motor from robbing all of the power out of your cap when the motor stops (the motor will have very low resistance when stopped).

If it doesn't light when the fan is turning, the fan is probably not putting out enough voltage. Meter the voltage on the cap when it is charged by the coil. It is very possible for the coil to be putting out hundreds of volts (with very low current). Also beware, there are lots of knockoff shake lights out there, these fakes simply have a battery that power the LED, but it is wrapped to look like a black cap.
BRUCErulz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan-

thanks for the info. I was surprised to discover that the magnet passing through the coil was producing so much energy. I know that in a steady wind the fan is showing 1.0 to 1.5 dcV. It is hard to meter the magnet/coil as the time is too short for the meter to really reflect it.

How would I go about using the fan to charge a capacitor so that the led could continue to glow even with no source voltage? The farad circuit uses two diodes to allow for both passes of the magnet through the coil...

Perhaps I need to go back to the tutorials and study this one...

steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: