FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Onboard the famous USS Enterprise carrier

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iraqigeek

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Onboard the famous USS Enterprise carrier Reply with quote

Last Thursday, I had the chance to go on board the famous USS Enterprise (CVN-65). After boarding the vessel, we toured its hanger, flight deck, and bridge. I took lots of pics in this once in a lifetime event.

More details on my wesite: http://www.iraqigeek.com/?p=47

IraqiGeek

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, thanks for sharing the pics. Smile What sort of high tech stuff did they show off? Did you see the huge computer rooms ( that I am assuming they have all over).
iraqigeek

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
WOW, thanks for sharing the pics. Smile What sort of high tech stuff did they show off? Did you see the huge computer rooms ( that I am assuming they have all over).

Nope, those where off limit. But we had access to the ship's bridge which was quite simple if you consider that from there they had control of the entire ship. Also, we where on board the ship for less than two hours, and for a vessel of this size (the bridge is about 12 stories above the water line and there where still some decks above that, and flight deck is 330+ meters long), that was barely enough to take a peak of what was there.

One interesting place was the room equivalent to ground control in an airport, which keeps track where each aircraft is/should be was basically a collection of white boards where each white board represented a certain area of the flight deck or hanger and they wrote on those boards which aircrafts where in each area based on what they saw using probably half a dozen of cctv monitors. Quite funny if you consider that the bridge was quite up to date in terms of technoogy. All the displays on the bridge where LCDs, and quite a few where touch sensative displays.

Another interesting thing I noted while going up and down in its corridors between the hanger deck, flight deck, and bridge was that a considerable amount of the cabling going above our heads looked like STP 4-pair cables (very similar to cat5). Exclamation

Even when considering the age of the ship (I believe its the oldest US carrier still in service), still there was a strange mix of old and new technology given how many upgrades it has gone through.

I also took the liberty of editing the Enterprise page on wikipedia to update some of the info there Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: