FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

DIY Automotive oscilloscope probes.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imp558
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: DIY Automotive oscilloscope probes. Reply with quote

I always wanted an automotive Oscilloscope, now that I'm older I figured I'd just buy one. I really liked in the old days how we would show all of the secondary ignition patterns at one time and be able to compare them(parade).
Now most cars have a coil per cylinder and most of them are driven internally so the sensible choice was inductive pickups since the old style scopes aren't well suited to COP systems.

There are a few Inductive pickups out there but the cheap ones don't have a reputation for working and the nice ones are pretty pricey considering I wanted 8 of them.

After some research I found an 8 channel scope interface for PC (and I use it with the portable:http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?t=2006) that was inexpensive so I followed a non-working diagram (smart huh?)that I found online and tweaked the circuit until it worked.

Ultimately I ended up with 8 inductive scope probes and a Hantek 1008c, the Hantek isn't exactly a piece of precision equipment but for automotive use it's just fine and has already diagnosed a couple of cars.

My Hantek came with an inductive probe but as predicted it didn't work.

The diagram below is my version that works, at some point I may put a couple small variable resistors in them so I can tune them all precisely the same but as of now I can't see any difference in them in the patterns.

My total investment was $200 US give or take a couple bucks.
Use this information at your own risk, I assume no liability for anybody else's project or equipment.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: