FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Power (circa 1885)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JingleJoe
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Power (circa 1885) Reply with quote

Here is one of my latest inventions, cross posted from Brass Goggles. I finished a little while ago but only photographed today, so gaze in wonder and fascination at the magic box of power:

Whatever could be inside such a mysterious box of mystery!?
Well these photographs may give it away Wink

This is acctually a variable power supply made from a computer ATX power supply that I found in a skip Smile I also found the wood it's made from in a skip Very Happy I aged and stained the wood using my patented method, the top and one side are hinged to allow access to circuits for cleaning and maintinence. I built a fuse box with a revolutionary new method of holding fuses, it can be seen on the frontward side. I was going to patent it but patents acctually cost alot of money Sad Bolting all the wires to that was the hardest part, the wiring inside was arduous and painstaking because of the lack of room.
On the front above the fuse box it has 5 old radio terminals with knurled nuts for each different voltage it can supply; 3.3, 5, 12, -5 and -12 with two ground connections below those.
Cooling is very important for these types of power supply so I mounted the fan above it with a vent made from a peice of mesh from a World War 2 gas mask and I added vents made from copper scrap metal to the base, at circuitboard-level, for maximum ventilation, it kicks up a small storm!

Here is a video of the device being activated and the little power indicator lights coming on:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v332/joe64/Steamy%20stuff/?action=view&current=IMGP3176.mp4
You can hear the fan whirr aswell Very Happy

Fuzion
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your projects always amaze me. keep up the great work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other Hacks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: