FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

the annoying graphics card.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumblebeepee
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: the annoying graphics card. Reply with quote

currently I have an ATI Radeon HD 4550 graphics card in my spare computer, but annoyingly the fan had broke on it, meaning it'll overheat and cause the pc to crash
i could either:
1- buy a new card,
2- buy a new cooler,
3- I can bodge a few parts together for free.
I chose the third option, so I removed and discarded the old fan from the heatsink, and damn that heatsink is pretty small for the card, a larger passive heatsink may have worked better, though when the fan actually worked it still was quite hot at 55 - 60 C.
so I had a look to get a new heatsink and found one in a box of junk from a old IBM win95/98 server,
it was still attached to the CPU by a thin slice of lead (an IBM 6x86MX PR300 - 233 MHz, my mobile is faster than that now at 434mhz)

a 45mm fan was found to be screwed in too, the heatsink was attached using high grade thermal paste, and some cable ties. ( a proper bodge job this), the fan attached using two long screws.

it turns out the fan had burnt out, and when it overheated at about 90C+ it had burnt out the thermal diode so it now reads -128C (that's a little bit wrong), but now with the larger heatsink and better fan, it runs at about 40C, so it will be much more reliable too.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing there was no permanent damage. That is the same fix I would have done. Smile
bumblebeepee
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is some slight damage done, though not anything serious
somewhere one bit or byte had become stuck in the gpu or memory,
that when the pc is under high graphical strain (not often, luckily)
it can sometimes cause the screen to mess and reboot the system
the mouse squiggles up (looks funny) when the mouse image skips/repeats (pic following)
bumblebeepee
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: