FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

re-Programmable 'angel eyes' LED project (WIP)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
knoppies

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: re-Programmable 'angel eyes' LED project (WIP) Reply with quote

This is my first electronics project, so try bear with me. I understand this is probably jumping in the deep end, but thats the way I like it.

The finished result:
Angel eyes (you know, the halogen lights that imitate the BMW angel eyes. you can always google angel eyes) built with white (approx 10k mcd. will these be bright enouph?) LEDs. These LEDs will be reprogrammable to perform different sequences.

Im finding it hard to explain what I want the LEDs to do, so have a look at my inspiration. Just imagine this set up as angel eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XciBYUlwxls (I believe this is the work of anotherhackgadget on this forum, but don't take my word for it, I may be wrong.)

My thoughts:
I thought I would use a PIC chip. I had this one in mind: PIC16F877A
(The reason I chose this chip is because I can buy it easily, its relatively inexpensive, and it has 33I/O pins)

I want the chip to be in-circuit reprogrammable. By either USB (prefered) or Old school serial.

I was planning on buying a 100LED pack. 4 Circles with 24 LEDs each (this keeps the number of LEDs in a circle even, and leaves me with 4 spares).

Rather than having each LED separate (like in the youtube vid) I thought I would pair LEDs. 4 LEDs (in series) per chip I/O. So LEDs 1 + 2 on circle one AND LEDs 1 + 2 on circle two are ALL connected to the same I/O connector on the chip. I will need to use NPN transistors. This allows me to program the left set of lights separate from the right set of lights.

My planned 'dashboard' would be:
2 variable resistors, one for LED brightness, and the other for the 555 timer chip.
A button to change the sequence that is running. (press and hold to reset to sequence 1, if thats possible to program??).
A switch to turn it on and off.
[optional, if I have enouph I/O left]
A 7seg display (using a 4bit binary decoder chip)
A button to change the sequence that is running (in reverse order to the button above)
Since the 7 seg display can only display 10 different digits, and I can program 20+ sequences into the chip, I thought it would be an idea to use an LED on the dash to show 10+, and a second LED to show 20+, and then I can have them both on to show 30+ (if you understand what I mean)

What I still need to work out (and what I would like your help with)
Im confused with how to get the in-circuit reprogrammable side of things set up. An easy (for the first timer) schematic would be nice. Tried reading a few but it goes over my head.
Does programming the PIC chip require I/O connectors (or does it use some of the other 40 pins not labeled as I/O pins, and can I use those same connectors on input buttons (I read somewhere I can, as long as the buttons were not pressed while programming)
If you see any flaws, or have any suggestions, Please share.

I am trying to keep the project as inexpensive and simple as possible.

I havnt drawn up a schematic yet, but I will start and post it up when I am done.

Does anybody know what happened to the gui compiler mentioned in these posts:
http://www.forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?t=1480&highlight=software
http://www.forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?t=1529&highlight=software
I am tempted to PM anotherhackmember for it.

I store all the links to my information sources here:
http://knoppies.freeforums.org/post59.html#p59

Hope I havn't confused you.

EDIT:This seems similar to my idea.
http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?t=1370
I forgot to mention: being car related headlights the voltage would be about 12V with 14V spikes.
I am going to use plugs to disconnect the lights and dashboard from the circuit, so it can be easily removed for programming.

EDIT again:
Do you think the heat from the headlights will affect the LEDs?

Do you think a ribbon cable (like an old IDE cable) will be enouph for the current of 4 LEDs running in series? (and will the common ground be enouph for all the LEDs on that cable?)

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply. I somehow didn't see the post (must have been mixed in with the spam that I was cleaning out).

Very nice job! Smile
Fuzion
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: re-Programmable 'angel eyes' LED project (WIP) Reply with quote

knoppies wrote:
What I still need to work out (and what I would like your help with)
Im confused with how to get the in-circuit reprogrammable side of things set up. An easy (for the first timer) schematic would be nice. Tried reading a few but it goes over my head.
Does programming the PIC chip require I/O connectors (or does it use some of the other 40 pins not labeled as I/O pins, and can I use those same connectors on input buttons (I read somewhere I can, as long as the buttons were not pressed while programming)

For in circuit programming you would need to know the pin outs of your chip and programmer with ICSP capability. Which stands for In-Circuit Serial Programming. I have a older USB PICkit 2 (pre black box) and a 12f683. using the data sheets I found the pin out of the chip and the PICkit 2 ICSP pins. I installed some pins in my circuit that connect directly to the chip. ICSP only needs about 5 wires to connect to the chip. the pins came off a board that used them for jumpers. using the supplied cable that came with the PICkit 2 I can just plug in the programmer directly to the circuit and program the chip without removing it.

Pics of the circuit and programmer to follow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: