FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Office LAN - gigabit problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sasikashiroshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Office LAN - gigabit problems Reply with quote

Hi all, I work in a small office for a small business (5 or 6 employees), and we've been here for a long time. We have a bunch of computers and systems (routers, NAS, etc) that run on 100mbps ethernet, and some newer stuff (including main NAS and main switch) that run at gigabit speeds.

My question is this: Does having a mix of 100/1000 speed devices on the same network mean the whole LAN will only work at the lowest (100mbps) speed? I ask this because that's pretty much what's happening. This laptop here has a gigabit NIC, it goes straight to a gigabit switch, which has a gigabit NAS attached via another gigabit router. In my mind, that should mean I can access the NAS at 1000mbps, but I can't (I can access it but only at 100mbps). Is this because there are other slower devices on the same switch/router?

That's question #1. Assuming that all to be the case, how would I go about getting things to work at faster speeds, bearing in mind we're on a shoestring budget and can't replace a bunch of the slower stuff. If I keep the two speeds fairly seperate - eg have ALL 100mbps devices plugged into one gigabit switch, and all gigabit devices plugged into the other (and Cat6 between the two) - would this work? I have enough Cat6 cable to run rings round the office lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: