FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Help hacking my RC Tundra 4x4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
far_frum_h0me

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Help hacking my RC Tundra 4x4 Reply with quote

I'm in need of some help. I'm trying to hack my RC 4x4 and doesn't seem to be as easy as I first thought. All I'm trying to do it tie in a Arduino to control the basic parts, ie: turning, forward and backward. I've googled for the chip maker, but doesn't seem to be around or I'm doing something wrong (which wouldn't be the first time).

Correct my if I'm wrong, but I don't feel that I can just tie like other project. They tie into the IC. I get the feeling that I can't with this one. I did move the front wheels by applying 5v to the socket on the board.
Because I have to apply 5v to move them right or left instead of PWM.

Edit: The chip on the board is RS-6 JW5GCB in case you can't see it.

From the first picture posted. It's in the bottom right corner.

Left
Brown X
Red X
Orange X
Yellow X
Green X <-- Ground
Blue X <-- 5v

Right
Brown X
Red X
Orange X
Yellow X
Green X <-- 5v
Blue X <-- Ground

I mainly work with software and this is my first try at hardware, so any help would be nice.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you monitor the circuit as you control it? That might help you determine what is needed for full control.
far_frum_h0me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have a logic analyzer. I do have a logic probe that I got with a box of stuff. I never used one, but started with it today. My question now is "Can I use the logic probe for this?" Or is this going down the wrong path?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scope would be best but you could try with a logic analyzer. Where do those wires go? Motors and servos? You may want to either control them directly or trace them back to the board and directly control the power electronics with the Arduino and just not worry about the existing control electronics.
far_frum_h0me

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks for the help. I think from this point I will make something custom. Mainly because I let out the magic smoke, and can't get it to go back in now. Guess I touched something I shouldn't have. I've been kicking this idea around for a while now. So I will finish.

But I am moving on to a project like this. I'll be sure to post an update soon, as I already have the drive train working.

http://www.dinofab.com/rumblebot.html

Til then
far_frum_h0me
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far_frum_h0me wrote:
Well, thanks for the help. I think from this point I will make something custom. Mainly because I let out the magic smoke, and can't get it to go back in now. Guess I touched something I shouldn't have. I've been kicking this idea around for a while now. So I will finish.

But I am moving on to a project like this. I'll be sure to post an update soon, as I already have the drive train working.

http://www.dinofab.com/rumblebot.html

Til then
far_frum_h0me

That magic smoke is hard to get back in. Sad Give us some details of the final project, that one you linked to looks like lots of fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Toy Hacks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: