FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Sign
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: LED Sign Reply with quote

http://www.instructables.com/id/SL36ZZHFLROK6JZ/

So I was looking to start this project and was needing some help getting started. I have the LED's and the resistors to connect them all together.

That was where I was having some problems. In the video it appears that all the positive leads are to the middle and the negative leads were to the outside. Is that correct? Should the positive leads be slightly higher than the negatives to make sure they do not touch?

Also, when trying to make the flashing circuit I was having a little bit of difficulty finding all of the components. Does anyone have a list of these components/could they give me a list as well as what voltages I need for the resistors and where I could find them.

Also what kind of Relay is being used and where can I find it. Lastly, where can I find the 1004 Diode?

I realize this is a lot of information I am asking for, and I appreciate any help that will be given.

Thanks a lot.

r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how I could use a 555 Timer to do this job?

Thanks.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a quick look at the site and something does look wrong with the schematic.

The diode is there to suppress reverse EMF. Any standard power diode will work fine such as the one we sell on our store.
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/product_info.php/cPath/12_16/products_id/68
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Do you also know what type of relay is used in the schematic? I believe it said it was an "NEC MR62-12FSRY" but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Thanks again.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this relay work?

http://skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1304

Also, where does the 9V connect on the bottom right of the schematic connect to? Does that go to one of the 9V batter terminals?

Thanks again.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: LED Sign Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
http://www.instructables.com/id/SL36ZZHFLROK6JZ/

So I was looking to start this project and was needing some help getting started. I have the LED's and the resistors to connect them all together.

That was where I was having some problems. In the video it appears that all the positive leads are to the middle and the negative leads were to the outside. Is that correct? Should the positive leads be slightly higher than the negatives to make sure they do not touch?

Also, when trying to make the flashing circuit I was having a little bit of difficulty finding all of the components. Does anyone have a list of these components/could they give me a list as well as what voltages I need for the resistors and where I could find them.

Also what kind of Relay is being used and where can I find it. Lastly, where can I find the 1004 Diode?

I realize this is a lot of information I am asking for, and I appreciate any help that will be given.

Thanks a lot.

No that relay would not work, the schematic is quite bad since it doesn't show where to connect to on the relay. I can't follow the lower section of the schematic since there are lines all over the place.

The relay you need is a form C relay.

As far as the relay wiring goes:
- lower left is coil positive
- upper left is coil negative
- upper left center is common
- upper right center is N/O
- upper right is N/C
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found the exact relay used after quite a while of searching around. So now I have just one last question.

Where does the bottom right wire go to? It says "to Circuit 9v"

Thanks again.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
I have found the exact relay used after quite a while of searching around. So now I have just one last question.

Thanks again.

I am thinking that that is probably +9 volts. Normally there is only one designation for positive power in a circuit but it looks like there is two for this schematic.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
r0b3rt03 wrote:

Thanks again.

I am thinking that that is probably +9 volts. Normally there is only one designation for positive power in a circuit but it looks like there is two for this schematic.

And then where would I connect the negative terminal of the 9v source?

Thanks again.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
Alan wrote:
r0b3rt03 wrote:

Thanks again.

And then where would I connect the negative terminal of the 9v source?

Thanks again.

To the ground symbol which is three lines which get progressively smaller.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would the momentary switch that was shown in the video be attached to?

Thanks.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:
Where would the momentary switch that was shown in the video be attached to?

Thanks.

I watched the video, it looks like it is just a toggle switch that turns on and off the power to the circuit. Probably a push on/push off device. You would just wire that in series with the positive of the battery supply. I notices that the schematic in the video is different than the one shown in the article. I would breadboard this circuit before making it permanent since you may have to ask Kip for some clarification of some of the connections. There seem to be a bunch of lines in the lower area of the schematic that are very ambiguous.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real difference in the schematic and the one in the video is that in the video they do not have the wires connected from the 330uf to the NPN C945. It did look different to me at first and then I realized that they were the same thing just in a different form. I was actually going to post about that as I wasn't sure. Once all the parts get in I will get to work on the flashing circuit and hopefully get that to work properly. Should look pretty good when I get everything done.

Also I am hoping to get to work on another LED Project...an etched plexiglass LED lighted sign which should turn out pretty cool.

Thanks again for all your help Alan.
r0b3rt03
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real difference in the schematic and the one in the video is that in the video they do not have the wires connected from the 330uf to the NPN C945. It did look different to me at first and then I realized that they were the same thing just in a different form. I was actually going to post about that as I wasn't sure. Once all the parts get in I will get to work on the flashing circuit and hopefully get that to work properly. Should look pretty good when I get everything done.

Also I am hoping to get to work on another LED Project...an etched plexiglass LED lighted sign which should turn out pretty cool.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r0b3rt03 wrote:

Those etched plexiglass signs look great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: