FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Foghorn alarm clock.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRYICE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Foghorn alarm clock. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wanted to get some advice for an uncoming project. I only have basic electrical knowledge so any info you can provide would be excellent.

What I want to build is a foghorn alarm clock. How easy is it to wire a 12v car horn or something similar, to the output of an alarm clock? Is the output generally a different speaker to the radio one?

Will it work or is it likely that something will blow? Keen to hear your experiences:)

Many thanks,

Geoff

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Foghorn alarm clock. Reply with quote

DRYICE wrote:
Hi all,

I wanted to get some advice for an uncoming project. I only have basic electrical knowledge so any info you can provide would be excellent.

What I want to build is a foghorn alarm clock. How easy is it to wire a 12v car horn or something similar, to the output of an alarm clock? Is the output generally a different speaker to the radio one?

Will it work or is it likely that something will blow? Keen to hear your experiences:)

Many thanks,

Geoff

Watch your hearing. Smile Have a look at this one I put together for fun last year. Note that it was just done for fun and isn't practical.
http://hackedgadgets.com/2008/01/11/fire-alarm-bell-alarm-clock-worlds-loudest-alarm-clock/
DRYICE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fantastic! My boss has just told me that instead of doing a fog horn, she wants me to do a watergun. Does the same theory apply?

I've setup my alarm clock the same as yours but wonder how I would wire up a motorised water gun and whether I would have to make the water gun self powered?

The gun looks like it is powerd by a 9.5v rechargable, and the alarm clock is powered by 2 x AA's. Could I power the water gun with the AA's.

Probably naive questions but am a beginner to this:)

Thanks for your response!
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRYICE wrote:
That's fantastic! My boss has just told me that instead of doing a fog horn, she wants me to do a watergun. Does the same theory apply?

I've setup my alarm clock the same as yours but wonder how I would wire up a motorised water gun and whether I would have to make the water gun self powered?

The gun looks like it is powerd by a 9.5v rechargable, and the alarm clock is powered by 2 x AA's. Could I power the water gun with the AA's.

Probably naive questions but am a beginner to this:)

Thanks for your response!

It would work the same, I am actually not using the AA batteries to ring the bell, that is being done with the plug in transformer which was 9 volts I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: