FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Turning an arm on a switch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Hammers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:55 am    Post subject: Turning an arm on a switch Reply with quote

Hi

Would appreciate some advice on a project. What I want to do is have a bar with an arm attached, that when a button is pressed, the bar turns, making the arm change position. It's on a 12v battery system, btw.

Here's a simple diagram I prepared earlier;

The top one is switched on, and the arm is up, the bottom is switched off, with the arm pointing vertically down.

The magnet doobry is the thing I'm asking about.

I'm thinking this could probably be done by coiling wires around in said Magnet doobry and passing a current through it, by reacting with the (metal) bar, but as you have probably gathered by now, I'm pretty clueless as to how to do it, so i'm open to suggestions Smile

If possible, I'd rather not buy anything, apart from the raw materials obviously, and have a go at constructing it myself.

It's also important that there shouldn't be any obvious clues as to what it does, if given a cursory look, so self-contained and discreet.

So, can anyone give me a bit of guidance as to how to make such a thing?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers!

Edit: No-one knows..? I find that hard to believe with all the brains and knowledge on here...maybe I just haven't explained it well enough or something. Oh well. Worth a try.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how large that bar is but I think you would have a hard time moving it with any authority using a home made electro magnet. I would look into using a servo it a gear reduced motor to give that the twist you need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: