FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Spoke POV

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Spoke POV Reply with quote

"More than a few people have mused upon the idea of installing lights inside the weapon of a combat robot. Similar “Persistance of Vision” setups are available for bikes and car wheels, but of course, doing it with a robot is kicking it up a notch! I've thought for some time that it would be fun to see what could be done with easily available materials, but never had the time to get around to it -- until now! "

http://www.madoverlord.com/robots/brightsaber.t
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2006/06/pov_in_a_combat_robot.html

anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is that quick POV logic I added to my existing LED chaser boards. If this explaination is longer than the code, thats because
English was not written in Assembly. This is quick and dirty, just to try out, and being so, it lacks needed feedback detection of spoke speed,
which will be added to my real code.

Explaination:

* ClearX fully clears the intire X() array/table/buffer with B'00000000'.

* ShowX graps 1 byte from the X() array at a time, copies X(n) to PortB, waits a few milliseconds (pov time), increments X() to X(n+1), and
repeats if not at end of array. After X() is shown, wait a really long time like 250 milliseconds to create a sentence effect. Sentence effect is
what determines the size of the gap bewtween a POV instance in the air or bike spoke. Make the sentence time short and you will see
many "ACG" pov text next to each other. Make the sentence time long and you will only see 1 "ACG" pov text in the air. If you had a very
large X() array say like X(50), you would not need a sentence time at all.

* P18 is just one of my patterns. You see no code to loop P18 because there is already an existing architecture to loop a pattern number that I
did not include in this example. P18 simply loads the X() array upto 12 bytes. The X() array has been allocated for 30 bytes X(30). So now
what about clearing the noise in the rest of X(13 - 30) you say? That is what ClearX function takes care of. If I want to display more X scan lines,
I simply load X() to X(30). If 30 scan lines are not enough, I allocate more Static Ram to make the X() table bigger.

Link To Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: