FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

using lm3916 to drive bigger currents than single leds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glassfin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: using lm3916 to drive bigger currents than single leds Reply with quote

I'm building vu meters out of some lm3916's, and i'm wondering what would be the least components involving way to use a lm3916 to control larger led arrays, I'm quite sure that if I just put a bunch of leds parellel it'll be more current than the ic can handle.

I think it would need some transistors, but not yet sure of exactly how to wire them either. I'll need to rig a comparator circuit that would trigger for example a mosfet or such? on each led "output"(input.. gah). been a while since my electronics courses.

oh and the least delay too, would be preferable, no slow relays please.

schematic for the lm3916 ic is at
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3916.html so you can see the basic schematic for using it.

any ideas, help?

glassfin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I got the first prototype soldered yesterday from those 3916's, pretty bright. still thinking of the best(least components and fastest, don't care about component price too much) way to control things from it's inputs.

also up on the table is now finding and building a mic boost circuit for it.
Alexander125
HG Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use som IRF350 mosfets.
They can carry a lot of current.
Oh and add some heatsinks.
Or you could use the ULN2803 or 2003 to power the FET-s
glassfin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, overall i'm pretty impressed with the lm3916's, should've run into them a long time ago.. Smile. I'll need a mic boost though at this point as well, oh well, a fun project to (re)learn some stuff.

besides just going extra large, my other goal is to build a minimalistic miniatyre version with built in mic. a bit bigger than a matchbox should be doable(but slow to do..).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: