FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Rewiring a phone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrathofkane
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Rewiring a phone Reply with quote

Hello, I'm wondering if it would be possible to wire a cell phone to use this things display and keys, and if so, how I would be going about doing it? Or in general so I can use this things case for usage as my cell phone.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rewiring a phone Reply with quote

wrathofkane wrote:
Hello, I'm wondering if it would be possible to wire a cell phone to use this things display and keys, and if so, how I would be going about doing it? Or in general so I can use this things case for usage as my cell phone.

The short answer is no. You would need intimate knowledge of how the device is designed and operates. I am not even sure what it is... Is it a game with a display on it?

That being said it would be possible to control the display with a microcontroller however the reverse engineering time to do it would be large.

Here is an example of the process.
http://www.instructables.com/id/SSJ3P6CF54HOCTT/?ALLSTEPS
wrathofkane
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... I have an old cell phone and Just want to remove the insides of the old (Nokia) phone and put it in this case. Basically this toy would just be a case holding the innards of the cell phone.

And to answer your question yes, it is a game with a display on it. Okay. So what is a micro controller first of all? Second what can a micro controller do to the display? (I am new to modding)

Also... You never really said if I can/can't at least rewire the buttons to at least us this thing's buttons?

I am willing to do what it takes to make this happen even if I have to start a little smaller. Even if it is a lot of work. So any in depth explanation would be nice.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrathofkane wrote:
Wait... I have an old cell phone and Just want to remove the insides of the old (Nokia) phone and put it in this case. Basically this toy would just be a case holding the innards of the cell phone.

And to answer your question yes, it is a game with a display on it. Okay. So what is a micro controller first of all? Second what can a micro controller do to the display? (I am new to modding)

Also... You never really said if I can/can't at least rewire the buttons to at least us this thing's buttons?

I am willing to do what it takes to make this happen even if I have to start a little smaller. Even if it is a lot of work. So any in depth explanation would be nice.

I think I misunderstood what you wanted to do. Smile If you would like to put the phone into this case and replace the existing game face with the one from your phone then yea that should be fine. Does the game have a keypad? depending on the cell phone you might be able to simply extend the wires from the phone to the keypad on the game.

For tips on extending wires from one device to be controlled by another have a look at my Atari 2600 TV Remote hack.
http://hackedgadgets.com/2007/05/16/atari-2600-joystick-tv-remote-control/

For tips on deconstructing existing items and putting them into a different form factor have a look at what Ben Heckendorn does to game consoles
http://benheck.com/all-game-projects
wrathofkane
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmkay so a few small problems. Number one, it doesn't look like this has a key pad. So I am guessing the only way to make it work would be to take a rubber keypad off my phone and house it on the back of the device. Maybe I could take a piece of rubber or plastic and run it around the edges of the rubber keypad that would be mounted on the back of the device... The wires could then be run up through a small hole drilled through the plastic so that the rubber keypad sits right on the button pickups.

Just a tentative idea... Think this would work? Or something else would work better to solve this key problem?

Also...

Not sure if the faceplate to the phone will be the EXACT same size as the faceplate the game uses... Not sure how this will affect the process.

As is I count a D pad on the device that includes four directions, and three buttons on the front. There could be more buttons but those are the ones I see.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrathofkane wrote:
Mmmkay so a few small problems. Number one, it doesn't look like this has a key pad. So I am guessing the only way to make it work would be to take a rubber keypad off my phone and house it on the back of the device. Maybe I could take a piece of rubber or plastic and run it around the edges of the rubber keypad that would be mounted on the back of the device... The wires could then be run up through a small hole drilled through the plastic so that the rubber keypad sits right on the button pickups.

Just a tentative idea... Think this would work? Or something else would work better to solve this key problem?

Also...

Not sure if the faceplate to the phone will be the EXACT same size as the faceplate the game uses... Not sure how this will affect the process.

As is I count a D pad on the device that includes four directions, and three buttons on the front. There could be more buttons but those are the ones I see.

Before you crack into your phone I would make sure you have a spare phone just in case it doesn't work. I have taken apart some phones and everything is very small and fragile. I would have a high power magnifier and very fine tip temperature controlled soldering iron on hand.
wrathofkane
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course. I am using an old phone that I no longer use so that if this whole thing turns into a big mess I at least don't loose anything of real value.
wrathofkane
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But anyways... As for my questions... Do you have an answer to them? Or think that this project as a whole is feasible? Any comments or helpful pieces of advice before I begin or decide to begin?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrathofkane wrote:
But anyways... As for my questions... Do you have an answer to them? Or think that this project as a whole is feasible? Any comments or helpful pieces of advice before I begin or decide to begin?

It sure is possible, give it a try and get back to us with the progress. Smile
wrathofkane
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan! =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Toy Hacks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: