FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Sound installation help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dickonknowles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: LED Sound installation help Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm fairly new to this kind of thing and am seeking some advise.

I'm working on a project, involving circuit bending. I am attempting to make a sound responsive LED display.

What i am looking to make is a set where you would have a Circuit Bent toy, which when you make noises on it, the signal output goes into the controls of the LEDs and make them react to the sound.

I have already tried taking the speaker wires of a toy guitar and placing them against the controls of a string of Christmas LEDs, which they did react to, but i'm not sure that they were responding to the sound output, i think it was just creating a new circuit. But it also seemed to mess up the controls for the LEDs, so now when i plug them in, nothing happens.

If anyone knows a good way of getting this kind of reaction, i'd really appreciate your help.

Thanks

Dickon

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: LED Sound installation help Reply with quote

dickonknowles wrote:
Hi,
I'm working on a project, involving circuit bending. I am attempting to make a sound responsive LED display.

What i am looking to make is a set where you would have a Circuit Bent toy, which when you make noises on it, the signal output goes into the controls of the LEDs and make them react to the sound.

I have already tried taking the speaker wires of a toy guitar and placing them against the controls of a string of Christmas LEDs, which they did react to, but i'm not sure that they were responding to the sound output, i think it was just creating a new circuit. But it also seemed to mess up the controls for the LEDs, so now when i plug them in, nothing happens.

Hi Dickonknowles,

Welcome to the forum! I removed the duplicate entry of the question. If a post fits in two areas just pick one, it keeps things a bit more organized that way.

Sounds like an interesting project. There are lots of ways to proceed, but since it sounds like you have a string of existing LED lights I am assuming that they are standard 110 VAC lights that normally just plug into the wall. If that is the case you could use a circuit that is described here to make that work.
http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/11/29/audio-controlled-christmas-lights/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: