FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

How to replace an AC adaptor plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeko
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: How to replace an AC adaptor plug Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have an ac adaptor with a broken internal wire (close to the end that goes into my laptop). I'd like to replace the wire and connector with a replacement. The replacement cable has two wires, which are unmarked and identical.

I cut the connector off the ac adaptor cable, ready to solder it to the replacement. But, the internal wires are different. There is a single copper wire, which has rubber shielding around it. Around the outside is a silver-coloured wire which is spread around the outside of the rubber shielding.

Can I just twist the silver wire into one thicker wire, and solder each of the two (copper and silver) to the wires of the replacement? Do I need to worry about orientation? There are no markings, but I don't want to fry my EeePC!

Thanks in advance,

Lee

ginbot86
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the connector has only 2-wire (like you said) the wire outside is the negative terminal (the reason it's weaved around is for interference shielding) and the rubber-coated wire is positive. And since your new cable is seemingly un-polarized, confirm polarity with a multimeter, and you should be fine. Electronics are sensitive to polarity.

Hope that helps! Very Happy
leeko
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DP,

That's what I was hoping you would say!

Thanks for the reply. I'll need to get really familiar with my multimeter before I risk plugging it into my laptop, though!

Thanks again,

Lee
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeko wrote:
Hi DP,

That's what I was hoping you would say!

Thanks for the reply. I'll need to get really familiar with my multimeter before I risk plugging it into my laptop, though!

Thanks again,

Lee

By Looking at this picture of the power supply that I found on the net it plugs in with a barrel connector (round connector with a hollow center).

According to this picture the outside of the barrel connector is negative. What you can do is connect the two wires in one orientation, then connect the black lead of your multimeter to the outside of the connector and the red lead to the inside of the connector making sure you don't accidentally short out the power supply.

If the meter shows a positive voltage everything is good, if the meter shows a negative value all you need to do is swap the wires around.

Last edited by Alan on Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
leeko
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the tips. I'll have a go at this as soon as I receive my multimeter Smile

Regards,

Lee
leeko
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: OK - Ready! Reply with quote

Ok!

I've soldered the new connector/wire to the cable from the AC adapter, and tested it with my multimeter. As far as I can tell, all looks well, but before I plug it into my EeePC, I'd really like to double-check EVERYTHING!

I'm hoping someone with a bit more electronics-savvy can look this info over and let me know if there's anything I've missed Smile

The AC adapter for my EeePC is slightly different to the one pictured above. The markings are:
Input: 100-240V 50/60Hz 680mA
Output: 9.5V 2.315A
Model: AD59230
Polarity: negative outside

I snipped off the old connector (4.75mm OD, 1.7mm ID) with about 6" of the cable. I stripped the insulation off, and found a positive copper wire centrally with a negative silver-coloured wire weaved around the outside for interference shielding. I stripped the central insulation, and twisted the central wire. I then twisted the outside (silver-coloured) wires together to form one negative wire.

The new cable actually did have some markings, albeit very faint. I soldered the positive to positive and negative to negative, then insulated each separately with electrical tape. I then wrapped electrical tape around the whole thing (I know HST is better, but I didn't have any to hand).

I tested the new connector with my analogue multimeter, as suggested. It read +11V. I tested a working AC adapter (same model), and it showed the same reading.

So far, everything seems ok. But, having never done this sort of thing before I'm a little hesitant to plug it into my laptop without some further reassurance. Is there ANYTHING else I should know/check/double-check before I try it?

Note: the original AC adapter's cable was 20AWG. The new cable is 24AWG, and seems slightly thinner/lighter. It's also considerably longer now (about 6'). Are either of these of concern?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can offer!

Best regards,

Lee
ginbot86
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauge shouldn't be much of a problem. Laptops (especially ones like the Eee) don't use much power and I wouldn't worry about gauge. If the cord gets warm when plugged in then I'd be worried. Also, extra length of cord does have resistance but it's not much at all (copper has resistance) unless the cord's 50 feet or something Wink , so, go for it!
leeko
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked!

WooHoooooo!!!!

Thanks for all your help Smile

Lee
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeko wrote:
It worked!

WooHoooooo!!!!

Lee

Good stuff! Glad we could help. Smile
ginbot86
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leeko wrote:
It worked!

WooHoooooo!!!!

Lee

Congratulations on getting it to work! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: