FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Blinking LEDs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Blinking LEDs Reply with quote

"Listening to music on my pc (proudly using WINAMP), I was wondering how would be to have some leds blinking with the sound that came out from the P2 connector, so I decided to make a simple circuit to do that. It worked pretty fine, so I decided to write a HowTo telling step-by-step how to do it. Hope you enjoy it!"

http://www.ovelha.org/pasteler0/2005/12/06/howto-blinking-leds/

BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it is pretty much a transistor with the audio out controlling it? i like it. I think it would be cool to have different colors for each channel, like red for right and blue for left.
TriaL

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OkI need to clarify a few things first. The P2 plug is just like a headphone jack? And plugs into you computer? And the TIP31 goes where? Other than that i understand the setup.

Also depending on what that all does, can it plug into a MP3/CD player?

Can someone PLEASE answer my questions?!?!!?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriaL wrote:
OkI need to clarify a few things first. The P2 plug is just like a headphone jack? And plugs into you computer? And the TIP31 goes where? Other than that i understand the setup.

Also depending on what that all does, can it plug into a MP3/CD player?

Can someone PLEASE answer my questions?!?!!?

Hi TriaL,

I wasn't the one who made it but I will attempt to answer your questions. Yes P2 is a headphone jack. The Tip is the large 3 pin device and is physically wired as shown. Driving a few LED will not make it get hot so you can mount it where you like.
TriaL

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks, so that Pin doesnt do anything but hook up the wires. And a simple question, a 12 v battery doesnt have to be a giant power source(computer, wall, etc) they make 12 batterys small enough right? Thanks again =)
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriaL wrote:
Alright thanks, so that Pin doesnt do anything but hook up the wires. And a simple question, a 12 v battery doesnt have to be a giant power source(computer, wall, etc) they make 12 batterys small enough right? Thanks again =)

Right, you could run this off a 9 volt battery also if you used LEDs with different voltages (or fewer LEDs). One thing that I would add is a series resistor with the LEDs though.

Have a look here for LED voltages, click the link at the bottom for ways to calculate the required series resistor.
http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/index.php/cPath/4
TriaL Is A NEWBY

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....good idea, go with 3 LEDs (3v) instead of 4, but would i still need a resistor if i did have 3, 3v LEDs? Thye voltage matches up. And if i did where would i stick that resistor. Somewhere along the + side?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriaL Is A NEWBY wrote:
Ok....good idea, go with 3 LEDs (3v) instead of 4, but would i still need a resistor if i did have 3, 3v LEDs? Thye voltage matches up. And if i did where would i stick that resistor. Somewhere along the + side?

Yes you still should install one, it would go in series with the LEDs, so basically remove one of the wires colored yellow and replace it with a resistor.
TriaL

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I did this project and all i get is a switch that turns the lights on and off.

Its shown without the battery, and a little messy, but tell me if you can see if the wiring is right.

But, I still don't understand where you plug it into for this 2 work. Im sure itd in the audio jack, but no sound would come out. PLEASE HELP =(
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriaL wrote:
Ok I did this project and all i get is a switch that turns the lights on and off.

Its shown without the battery, and a little messy, but tell me if you can see if the wiring is right.

But, I still don't understand where you plug it into for this 2 work. Im sure itd in the audio jack, but no sound would come out. PLEASE HELP =(

I can't really see what wires connect to what pins etc. can you take some more detailed pictures?
TriaL

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, but while I get better pics, clarify this. What plugs in your computer and where would this be located? I cant figure this whole thing out. I am more confused than ever, and made this whole circuit just to fail. Thanks.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriaL wrote:
Possibly, but while I get better pics, clarify this. What plugs in your computer and where would this be located? I cant figure this whole thing out. I am more confused than ever, and made this whole circuit just to fail. Thanks.

The jack plugs into the computer speaker outputs
TriaL

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but if I stick it into the Audio (headphones) jack would it still work? Cause thats what I tried.

And I was a little confused about the circuit, because I have P2 going to the right pin of the tip and the left pin going to the battery wire (-). And the middle pin going to the switch's left pin.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriaL wrote:
Ok, but if I stick it into the Audio (headphones) jack would it still work? Cause thats what I tried.

And I was a little confused about the circuit, because I have P2 going to the right pin of the tip and the left pin going to the battery wire (-). And the middle pin going to the switch's left pin.

As shown in the picture the right pin goes to negative and the left pin goes to the headphone jack. How is your headphone jack wired, the circuit will only connect to right OR left (not both)
Trial

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have the Jack coming out with a black and red wire. The red going to the right pin and the black going to the - battery. Ill try what you said and see if I can make any progress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: