FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Make your own SMOKEY AMP!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Make your own SMOKEY AMP!!!!! Reply with quote

A Smokey Amp is a guitar amp that fits inside a used cigarette case. Not being a smoker (never will be) and instead being a DIY-er, I set out to figure out how to make my own. A Smokey Amp costs $31.5 - $33.5, which is too much (but just in case, www.smokeyamps.com/Smokey_Pages/smokey.html).

So I found a schematic at blueguitar.org. Direct link: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/_ss/smokey.gif

Parts are:
Perf board
2" diam speaker
9v battery and clip
two input jacks
JRC 386D op-amp
two 47 uF / 16v capacitors

i'll be posting pics as soon as i get started....

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own SMOKEY AMP!!!!! Reply with quote

Modio wrote:
A Smokey Amp is a guitar amp that fits inside a used cigarette case.

Looks like an interesting project Smile
Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get started on it, but I can't find the right jacks. 'Shack doesnt have them and I'll probably have to order online. They're the kind with 6 solder points, if someone knows where I can get some....
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Modio!

Have you had any luck building the smokey amp? I'd like to try and build one too. They are real handy when you go travelling.

If you have been successful I'd really like to see the photos and any advice you can give would be great, ie.... where to buy parts and how to put it all together etc......

Good luck anyway! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Make your own SMOKEY AMP!!!!! Reply with quote

Modio wrote:
A Smokey Amp is a guitar amp that fits inside a used cigarette case. Not being a smoker (never will be) and instead being a DIY-er, I set out to figure out how to make my own. A Smokey Amp costs $31.5 - $33.5, which is too much (but just in case, www.smokeyamps.com/Smokey_Pages/smokey.html).

So I found a schematic at blueguitar.org. Direct link: http://www.blueguitar.org/new/schem/_ss/smokey.gif

Parts are:
Perf board
2" diam speaker
9v battery and clip
two input jacks
JRC 386D op-amp
two 47 uF / 16v capacitors

Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this a reminder or did i miss something? i cant start until i have those jacks, 6 solder points; i really am trying....
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modio wrote:
is this a reminder or did i miss something? i cant start until i have those jacks, 6 solder points; i really am trying....

LOL looks like someone wants to see it bad Smile
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey!

Sounds like 'Guest' really wants to see you see through that project of yours!

I hope to try and make one soon. I just need to buy a soldering iron! I don't think the parts should be too hard to find.
yourmumsaduckwith2eyeball

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're in the europe and have a fair knowledge of electric, www.banzaieffects.com for some bits (theyre germans)
and www.runoffgroove.com for circuit diagrams. They have 3 different battery amps based around the same IC as the smokey amp

gangster
KieranM

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the actual name for the "Perf board"? And thanks for the Banzai link, its a great help. Im gonna give this ago soon too. Also what is the story with the specific inputs? And links too find them?
wakkapooo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built this and it works great as a guitar preamp(at low volume) or a fuzz box at high volumes. I am not using it as a standalone amp because i have an acoustic electric guitar, so having such a small output is silly, but I did hook up a 16ohm 1.5w speaker and it sounds good. Great find on the schematic. Also i would post pics but i am cameraless at the moment
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakkapooo wrote:
I just built this and it works great as a guitar preamp(at low volume) or a fuzz box at high volumes. I am not using it as a standalone amp because i have an acoustic electric guitar, so having such a small output is silly, but I did hook up a 16ohm 1.5w speaker and it sounds good. Great find on the schematic. Also i would post pics but i am cameraless at the moment

Lets see some pics when you get a camera. Smile
ironiron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: interested Reply with quote

I'm very interested of making one myself but I'm not very familiar with electronics http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/ has a good layout program. Would be cool if one could make a layout for this project since I donīt understand those schematics...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: