FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Waterproof thermometer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sbeausol

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Waterproof thermometer Reply with quote

I am looking to build a thermometer to measure temperatures at different depths in a lake in reel time on an LCD. As many of you are aware there are tons of thermometer type application/circuit examples on the net. I'm pretty sure the basic design will be battery powered and contain a temp probe on a spool of wire which i will send out to specific depths and take a reading (would love a wireless application but the whole sonar thing might be a bit too complex). This is more than likely a one-time application for something that is really expensive to buy off the shelf (if you can find one). My goals are to come up with a cheap, easily reproduced custom solution.

The problem of course is that i'm a total newbie. I've read several of the projects people have posted, but i still find myself missing some of the critical basic info i need. Where should i start with circuits and programing chips? what microchip should i use? Is there a book i should buy, an online tutorial? I am competent with a soldering iron, and have some decent understanding on electronics etc. I am simply looking to acquire enough knowledge to do this project myself.

Any help/input is greatly appreciated.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is exactly what you are looking for. You can buy it as a kit or make your own.
http://quozl.netrek.org/ts/

You could have 4 of these sensors at various fixed depths (say 10 feet apart) then raise and lower the string of these to read the data at many depths at one time.
sbeausol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea... my question would be how difficult would it be to drop the serial port for a power supply and an lcd?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbeausol wrote:
good idea... my question would be how difficult would it be to drop the serial port for a power supply and an lcd?

It wouldn't be that hard, you could make a controller that just read in the data every few seconds and have it simply output that to a display. You would not have the data for later analysis though...
sbeausol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i here ya, i'm just concerned about bringing a laptop on a boat! Then i have to power the laptop as well, which would be irritating
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbeausol wrote:
i here ya, i'm just concerned about bringing a laptop on a boat! Then i have to power the laptop as well, which would be irritating

I have never done any work with PDAs but most of them have a way of reading serial data, that might be another way that you could have something inexpensive to record and display your data. I have seen some of the older Palm PDAs going for $20 at some of the discount stores.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have one such Palm 7x that isn't getting any use. If it werent such a pain to develop in the Palm OS, I might use it more Smile
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nginuity wrote:
Yeah, I have one such Palm 7x that isn't getting any use. If it werent such a pain to develop in the Palm OS, I might use it more Smile

I heard the same thing about programming those things... It would be cool to have a data acquisition program or something on one though. I wonder if the pocket PC devices would be easy to program for something like that?

Here is an interesting article about how to use a Palm Pilot for data acquisition. Looks not bad...
http://www.picotech.com/applications/palm.html

Even on Ebay the older palms are CHEAP!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com/3COM-PALM-PILOT-M105-8mb-WITH-STYLUS-PDA-TESTED_W0QQitemZ160223210160QQihZ006QQcategoryZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If only I had a bit more time, I feel like doing some playing with my old palm now.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean. The only issue I can see, is that the internal capacity of the old Palm units is not very high.
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always add an EEPROM to the circuit. Assuming 16 bits of data per reading, a 1Mbit EEPROM can store over 60,000 readings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: