FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Anti-cant scope device..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ari30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Anti-cant scope device.. Reply with quote

I recently designed and built my own very simple Anti-cant device (electronic level) using simple tilt switches/leds. It attaches to your scope and improves accuracy when you are out hunting and are unable to reference the horizonta/verticall to ensure consistant accuracy.

If anyone is interested in building their own let me know and I'll provide all the info, a home made video.. and all parts you need.

Cheers,

Ari

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Anti-cant scope device.. Reply with quote

Ari30 wrote:
I recently designed and built my own very simple Anti-cant device (electronic level) using simple tilt switches/leds. It attaches to your scope and improves accuracy when you are out hunting and are unable to reference the horizonta/verticall to ensure consistant accuracy.

If anyone is interested in building their own let me know and I'll provide all the info, a home made video.. and all parts you need.

Sure, post some pictures and details! Sounds cool. Smile
Sixpack
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great!
Ari30

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for not replying to the many pm's before now, been kinda busy..

Heres a small video of the prototype initially being tested 10 minutes after 1st power up. http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/Tango30/?action=view&current=MOV00521.flv

The vid doesnt portray how well it works due to my camera movement cancelling out/exagerating the devices movement. Its also been further improved since that video was taken.

Some pics.. http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/Tango30/DSC00522.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f259/Tango30/DSC00523.jpg

Providing you have set up both your scope AND powered level perfectly on the dead horizontal both LED's will be lit you are level, very handy when out in the wild when you have no buildings to reference, to measure how much you are canting from.
It appears to have a resolution of around 3-3.5 degrees either side of the vertical but this effectively halfs when taking unrested or standing shots due to to the muscles vibrations from holding your rifle.

If you shoot with both eyes open the LED's appear in the scopes picture but closing the left eye removes them from vision completely.
Because closing an eye is undesirable due to adding muscle tremor/vibrations to your shooting, a better idea would be to mount both LED's on the top or bottem of the scopes Eyepiece instead of on the actual level.
The circuitry could also be altered to work with one single LED..

When I next have a minute ,I'll take some pictures of the very simple circuit layout and list the components.. it is very simple and cheap to build. Smile

If you have any further ideas on how it might be improved.. get typing.
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty cool! Very Happy

eric
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> New Projects Currently Being Developed All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: