FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Hack of LED Clock

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CDBEAM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Hack of LED Clock Reply with quote

Hello ALL,

New to this forum, Thankful for it being here !! Anyway... I want to hack an LED clock. I have some electronic experience.... not alot...just a hobbyist !!
Here is what I want to do....take a six (6) digit led clock...which has output in Hours:Minutes:Seconds ( They are out there !!)...and pick up a control signal off the display...to turn on a 5VDC device....every hour...on the hour...for one (1) minute.....AND to turn on that same 5VDC device
every 60 seconds...for one (1) second...at 00 seconds.
Multiplexing has me stumped in this case...any thoughts on how to do this ???????????????????? Thanx in advance...

Bob

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need the clock display or just the timed output? If you need the clock to function you can see if there are one second pulses that you can capture and feed into a controller. This controller would simply count second pulses and activate when the correct count is reached.

If no display is needed then you could simply use a microcontroller and real time clock or just a accurate oscillator.
Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A crappy way to detect the digits would be to glue some photo-resistors to the face of the clock Laughing

eric
CDBEAM

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Hack of LED Clock Reply with quote

Hello,

Well...yes...I Would like this project to basically be a clock...albiet ...a very special clock !!!....and... an electronic tech at work also said this would be the simplest way to do it.... is to pick up a control pulse signal from a flashing colon sign...which normally goes I/O every second...and then output this to counter IC's....and programe accordingly...BUT...It is desireable to have a six (6) digit display...H:M:S...output....SO....I am looking for a unit to hack !! with both flashing colon AND H:M:S display???
Think I found one at http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/jumbo-display-led-clock ..... So...

I will try to contact them...to verify that the colon IS flashing ??? I will advise when I know !!! NOW....how to do the circuit...NOT A CLUE !!!
I only know enough to be really dangerous !!! Like...er...ah...7417 Decade
counter....Really....I will need help with this...or...I will need to comission someone to design/build this ??? I would rather do it and save the $$...but...well...ya just havta play your strong suite...and this is not mine !!! We will see !! ANYWAY...THANX for your help so far !!!!!! The idea of optical coupling IS sure simple....BUT...I need a continous signal...no I/O @ 30 Hz....so...I do not know if the optical idea would work ??????

Any other ideas on clock source...to hack...PLEASE advise.....!!!!! This
project is becoming ALOT more involved than I would have ever
predicted !!!!!

BoB
steve0
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh,hi!Glad to see you!
________
herbalaire

Last edited by steve0 on Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
CDBEAM

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Hi SteveO Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
Yes...This project IS moving ahead....albeit, very slowly !! Stanwax is doing the circuitry. He has made custom printed circuit boards....and I believe is using a basic microprocessor to control the whole thing !!
I am working on the " display " end of things. I believe he is using the colon I/O as a control pulse !
When complete....it will be the ONLY visual chime clock that I know of !!!
Later,
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other Hacks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: