FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Wow, I am stupid (in the circuit sense)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Wow, I am stupid (in the circuit sense) Reply with quote

For one of my many projects, I had an extreme design problem trying to solve. In my efforts to make something complex and cool, I foresaw some glitches that would happen if I used the circuit I designed.
Out of boredom, I redesigned the circuit and a stipped down verison (that did solve the issues, but lost some of the features I desired). Then it came to me Embarassed , I could easily get the desired product by combining the two circuits and presto, I now have a super simple stripped down (stripped down in the aspect of amount of parts and not what it can do) version of my desired product Twisted Evil When I say that, I mean a complete overhaul and the end product looks nothing like the beginning one Very Happy

Since I have not made or tested the circuit yet, I would not reveal my design or project details until I complete it Rolling Eyes

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me all the time, I think of a solution to a problem but unless I step back and leave it for a day or two it can be easy to overlook another simpler obvious solution...
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It most of the function is not done by a single chip and perhaps one more because that one more is absolutely necessary, then you still have some revising to do Smile.

If not you then the chip makers. Because believe me sooner or later all those discrete chips will be bundled into one just like it always as been. Maybe your bundle is already out there and you do not know.
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anotherhackmember wrote:
It most of the function is not done by a single chip and perhaps one more because that one more is absolutely necessary, then you still have some revising to do Smile.

If not you then the chip makers. Because believe me sooner or later all those discrete chips will be bundled into one just like it always as been. Maybe your bundle is already out there and you do not know.

When did I say that I needed an IC to do what I wanted? I have a deep enough knowledge of how transistors work to completely do without ICs on this project Twisted Evil Though it is a pain to be sure you positioned the transistors right incase someone does not use a bipolar one Evil or Very Mad Oh and with the circuit I made, I know that they have some ICs that can do it, but it is more costly, take up more space, and some parts of the chips are going to be unused.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project_Nightmare wrote:
anotherhackmember wrote:

When did I say that I needed an IC to do what I wanted? I have a deep enough knowledge of how transistors work to completely do without ICs on this project Twisted Evil Though it is a pain to be sure you positioned the transistors right incase someone does not use a bipolar one Evil or Very Mad Oh and with the circuit I made, I know that they have some ICs that can do it, but it is more costly, take up more space, and some parts of the chips are going to be unused.

Actually, it's not always the case (less and less actually) where the bundled component costs more.
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you might be right about that Razz Since I already designed it using transistors, I'll stick to using them.

NVM, if I used a PIC, that'll really simplify my design. Can a PIC work on 12 volts?
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project_Nightmare wrote:
Well, you might be right about that Razz Since I already designed it using transistors, I'll stick to using them.

NVM, if I used a PIC, that'll really simplify my design. Can a PIC work on 12 volts?

The working voltage of a PIC is 5 volts. Use a 7805 voltage regulator to step the voltage down.
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Project_Nightmare wrote:
When did I say that I needed an IC to do what I wanted?

When did you? From what I read you did not. I never said you did need one. I commented that the parts count most likely can be drastically reduced to a single chip or two hence the very nature of technology.

HV series of PIC. Powered from unregulated 2v to 15v with build in 5v regulator.
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1999&ty=&dty=&section=&NextRow=&ssUserText=hv
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Razz Wow I'm not thinking straight, I fought why I needed 12 volts for the PIC when 5 volts would do Rolling Eyes It must have been from me thinking about the op-amps regulators in the circuits Wink

And thanks for the suggestions Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anotherhackmember wrote:
Project_Nightmare wrote:
When did I say that I needed an IC to do what I wanted?

When did you? From what I read you did not. I never said you did need one. I commented that the parts count most likely can be drastically reduced to a single chip or two hence the very nature of technology.

HV series of PIC. Powered from unregulated 2v to 15v with build in 5v regulator.
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1999&ty=&dty=&section=&NextRow=&ssUserText=hv

I have been using PIC chips for a long time and I didn't know they had ones with built in regulators. Smile

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: