FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Fuel injectors/LED

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike1995

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Fuel injectors/LED Reply with quote

I would like to add a single LED to each fuel injector on my car. 6 total, I believe 12V is fed to the injectors. What would I need?

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you should need is one LED and one resistor per fuel injector.
Alan has awesome prices for LED and he sells the appropriate resistors too Very Happy

eric
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you just want to know when the fuel injector fires?

Even at idle, you aren't going to be able to discern that.

Say you idle, bare minimum at 600 RPM's. That's 10 rotations a second. That means, you are going to fire on 5 of those rotations (not strokes). So, your LED is blinking 5 times a second.

Something comparable is the strobing effect of a timing light. That is exactly the same result you are going to see.
anotherhackmember
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Nginuity stated, the LED speeds will be to fast because the human persistence of vision does not scale high at all. 30 blinks per second looks constantly one to use. So, if visual appeals is the goal as supposed to actually diagnostics, you can make a scale to map human eye to engine RPM.

Level 1 technique would be to first use some logic to divide the RPMs down to a 30 Hz range. Level 2 technique would be to Pulse Width Modulate to LEDs and use brightess levels instead of blinking to depict RPM. By then you would be ready for the third Level - RGB representation. The LEDs would start with cool colors and gracefully transition to hot colors as the RPM reaches peak. Than combine them so you see change in colors and blink as slow speeds.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anotherhackmember wrote:
Like Nginuity stated, the LED speeds will be to fast because the human persistence of vision does not scale high at all. 30 blinks per second looks constantly one to use. So, if visual appeals is the goal as supposed to actually diagnostics, you can make a scale to map human eye to engine RPM.

Level 1 technique would be to first use some logic to divide the RPMs down to a 30 Hz range. Level 2 technique would be to Pulse Width Modulate to LEDs and use brightess levels instead of blinking to depict RPM. By then you would be ready for the third Level - RGB representation. The LEDs would start with cool colors and gracefully transition to hot colors as the RPM reaches peak. Than combine them so you see change in colors and blink as slow speeds.

LOL, that sounds like a thesis project. Smile
Mike1995

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nginuity wrote:

Say you idle, bare minimum at 600 RPM's. That's 10 rotations a second. That means, you are going to fire on 5 of those rotations (not strokes). So, your LED is blinking 5 times a second.

Something comparable is the strobing effect of a timing light. That is exactly the same result you are going to see.

I just happened to think of that right after I made the original post. Rolling Eyes Yet even at low idle, I should still be able to see them because each cylinder has 3 more strokes before the next injection.

Not trying to use this mainly as a diagnostic tool. Just like to be able to open the hood and see a bunch of flashing lights. Laughing
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike1995 wrote:
Nginuity wrote:

I just happened to think of that right after I made the original post. Rolling Eyes Yet even at low idle, I should still be able to see them because each cylinder has 3 more strokes before the next injection.

Not trying to use this mainly as a diagnostic tool. Just like to be able to open the hood and see a bunch of flashing lights. Laughing

3 strokes equals 1.5 revolutions Smile RPM's aren't based on strokes. You're injecting every other revolution.

I like anotherhackmember's point. I'd do that instead Smile

I would sense on spark instead of injection, actually. You can use the inductance coming off of the spark plug wire to trigger your pulse to the LED, or whatever you decide to use, without tapping any of the electronics in the vehicle. Just put a coil or iron core around each wire. This is also how a timing light works. It senses induction off of the number one cylinder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: