FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

electronic help plz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evan_ellerbe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: electronic help plz Reply with quote

i have a circuit i made. It includes a 12v battery a small switch and a linear solenoid. im using it to forcefully trip a sear pin in a paintball gun. my problem is the setup is very direct. If you hold down the switch the solenoid stays in a excited state.I need the circuit to stop supplying energy to the solenoid after like a split second or so(even if the switch is still being held)and then when the switch is released the system resets ready to trigger the solenoid again. because if the solenoid is on for to long it makes the recocking mechanism malfunction.im really stumped here because my understanding of electronics is limited to on/off circuits.if anyone can help plz?

Laughing

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 555 timer in monostable mode would solve that problem. It would trigger the circuitry everytime your trigger hit a point to excite it, momentarily. You can configure the length of the pulse to make that work.
Project_Nightmare
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about something like a repeater for the paintgun?
evan_ellerbe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not a repeater. im converting a mechanical to electric. and every time i activate the trigger it sends 12 v to the solenoid which trips the pin holding the bolt consequently firing the gun. the problem is i need the circuit to only send the 12v for like a 10th of a second even if im still holding the trigger

ive heard of this circuit called A simple Continuous to Momentary Contact Relay Circuit.
its on this site http://www.oldradio.com/current/cont2mom.htm

would this work?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link doesn't seem to work. In this case a 555 timer as Nginuity suggested may be your simplest way to make it work. You would also need a simple transistor drive to power your coil.

http://www.eleinmec.com/article.asp?4
evan_ellerbe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ended up experimenting with capacitors. i used a 3 pin switch to make two circuits one(switch not pressd)charges the capacitor then when i press the switch it switchs over to a circuit with the capacitor and solenoid which discharges the solenoid then stops even if ur holding the trigger.
my problem is im using a 6800uf 16v capacitor wich charges fast enough( like a milisecond) but in that shrt time it does not have enough voltage.
is there a better capacitor i can use more/less uf or volts or some combo of both?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could decrease the voltage closer to the actual voltage of the circuit. This would make the cap smaller and cheaper. Then just increase the uF until it provides enough discharge. Another option along the same lines of using a cap is to buffer its output into a transistor and have the transistor provide the impulse you need.
evan_ellerbe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you i wasent realy sure which way to go with the capacitor but youve cleared up some of the ideas i had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: