FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

continuity test with audio communication

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gjjdemarco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: continuity test with audio communication Reply with quote

I figured you guys are the ones to ask about this. I am an electrician by trade and we typically test continuity and verify phasing on multiconductor systems with a "light set". Basically a 9v batt wired in series with 2 bulbs with test leads. So 2 men, very far apart, can verify phase markings through manholes, duct runs, etc.
One guy has the battery side and a bulb, the other guy just a bulb. Battery guy puts one lead on the ground wire, and the other on "A" phase. Guy with just the bulb puts one lead on the ground wire and goes through all the phases with the other lead until he gets a light. When both parties have a light, both parties are on "A" phase.
But lately, we would like a system that is a little more "fool-proof".
In the light set situation, if there is a fault between 2 phases, you will get lights on both, then you have to get out your cell phone, call the other guy, go over the problem, figure something else out.
But a while ago, I saw another 'older' electrician with a set that did the same thing, but instead of light bulbs, it was a simple headset w/ one earphone and a mic. When both parties were on "A" phase, they could communicate verbally.
I can't seem to find one to buy, but I figured it can't be difficult to fabricate. I also can't seem to get a hold of the guy who has it.
Are there any of you guys who could explain how this would go together?
I can't imagine it's tough, but I am fairly new to this kind of thing.
I already have a couple Motorola Headsets (the kind they made for gaming on the xbox and ps2). Could they be used?
Thanks a lot for your help (I am sure I bored you with the length of this post)
Greg DeMarco

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool project Very Happy

So, it's basically two-way communication on two conductors?

What kind of distances are we talking about?

eric
gjjdemarco

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be used at distances of 500' or less. I hope some of the guys here can visualize what I am thinking about, it would really be a great tool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: