FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

MY NEW TV / COMPUTER MONITOR

View previous topic :: View next topic  
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: MY NEW TV / COMPUTER MONITOR Reply with quote

Vizio 37in, 1080i, 1200:1, HD LCD Television from Sears.

Base price $759 on sale at some resellers, $999 at Circuit City.

Tax + 5yr in home service / replacement plan at $199 = $1050.

PICTURES

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks sexy. I've always been skiddish of off brand name electronics at that price point. Are you happy with it?

What resolution does it run at and what inputs does it have?
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TV runs at 1080i / 720p.

It has VGA, 2 HDMI, PC RGB(VGA+audio), DTV+, TV, 2 component Analog, AV1 / S-Video, AV2, Optical, and Analog audio.

I run the computer through the TV through the Stereo for surround sound, 9 speakers with the sub. The 360 is hooked up through the HD component inputs(everything runs through the TV then stereo for sound). I understand now why it seems like some people have an unfair advantage when playng online games. The graphics look clearer than they did on my 20in monitor, unbelievable picture quality.

It looks like my computers crappy onboard audio / video will not handle HD DVD playback. Basically the TV is too much for the computer I purchased 2 years ago. I have managed to play HD mkv files with no video sync issues at times and they look amazing - you'll never want to watch a regular DVD again. I'll be upgrading to a 256MB PCI graphics card and 1GB of RAM soon as I have some extra cash.

This TV with an HD source has an AMAZING picture. I couldn't be happier with this TV. It's huge and the graphics are clearer than my 20in LCD. The 360 is done no justice on a SDTV or small computer monitor. An LCD over 30in is such an improvement. Those pictures I took of the TV were with a 5yr old 2.0MP camera. Look how clear the TV-picture shows up in the pics towards the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great. Smile I wish I had a monitor for my computer that was that big! I am still only using good old dual monitors but that setup looks 10 times better...
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I love it, I can't believe I looked at that 20in LCD for so long. Once you go big you'll never go back lol. The best part, it was a college graduation present. I've just gotten my associates in computer information systems.
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: QUESTIONS ABOUT HD PLAYBACK Reply with quote

So here's my computer specs: Insignia D400A

Procesor: 2.8GHz Intel P4 socket 478
Mobo: 845GV Intel Extreeme Graphics /AC97 (disabled)
400 MHz FSB.
RAM: 512MB DDR SDRAM, 2 Slots Max 2GB, 266 MHz.
Hard Drives: 160GB 7200RPM, 250GB LaCase USB2.0 external.
Expansion slots: 3 PCI, 1- Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2- Dial up
Modem 3- Ethernet (I think?).
Graphics: 64MB Shared.
Drives DVDRW, CDRW with latest firmware flashes.

I didn't think my computer would have any problem with HD resolution or playback. It's 2 years old however, right about the time for an upgrade. It seems the process for decoding Mvk / H264 files requires more graphics memory and RAM.

I will be purchasing a PCI graphics card within the next few weeks. Probably a 256MB with Dual DVI for multiple monitors. I will also add another GB of RAM. If I have too I'll also pick up that P4 3.0 GHz Socket 478 CPU.

The question is, can I swap the dial up modem for a graphics card? I'm obviously not using the dial up modem - but is this a normal PCI slot ? The specs from the manufacturer / resellers say 3 PCI slots.

Any suggestions on hardware?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would be better off using an AGP card (if you have an AGP slot). Yes the PCI slot that the modem is in should be a normal one. Some motherboards use modem riser boards for the modem, but if it is in a full size PCI slot you should be fine.
precisewitem
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wish I had an AGP slot, I hear PCI is slow compared to AGP. I also hear that they have stopped making PCI cards. No AGP for this mobo though, I'm kinda disappointed with this computer overall. Graphics / sound processing were never up to par.

When testing frame rates for games such as Counterstrike / HL2 my computer struggled to put out 15 frames per second. Recording through the AC97 on-board audio was horrible, low and noisy. The Audigy card sounds amazing recording with an MXL studio condensor mic / tube preamp now.

I'm going to look for the graphics card I will get and post back when I'm done in a new topic. This is turning into a basic tutorial for HD resolution on a single core computer.
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your computer is only 2 years old, then it probably has a PCI-X slot for graphics. PCI-X is much faster than AGP.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: