FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

USB Controlled Traffic Signal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imagitronics
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: USB Controlled Traffic Signal Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just finished my very first hardware project and thought I'd share it with you first.

I modified a novelty store "Blinking Traffic Signal," outfitted it with a Delcom USB module, and wrote up a sample program (Mac OS X) that monitors the Cocoa NSDistributedNotificationCenter and changes the light based on the number of applications you have running on your system. A user-defined threshold determines whether the light should be green/yellow/red. The application runs in the system status bar, and the icon changes to match the current status of the light.

I plan to continue working on the software to add additional user-configurable options. For instance, I would like to trigger the light based on the number of unread emails in your inbox, CPU utilization, have the light flash yellow when the screen saver activates, or turn red when launching specific applications (ie. Xcode or eclipse). I wanted to make the project known in hopes of getting additional feedback from like-minded hackers.

The idea for the project came to me after being interrupted one too many times by thoughtless coworkers while already balancing 100 different tasks.

Please, if you have any suggestions, comments, or other input [positive/negative] please email me, or leave a comment on one of the pages below:

Project site:
http://www.imagitronics.org/trafficstop

Flickr photo gallery:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/imagitronics

Development journal:
http://imagitronics.livejournal.com/tag/trafficstop

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: USB Controlled Traffic Signal Reply with quote

So many possibilities! CPU usage, number of spams caught today, temperature outside. I think that gadgets that let us view information at a glance will be very popular in the near future.
imagitronics
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

I'm really glad that you like the concept. I agree with your statement 100%. For years we've been adapting our minds and bodies to work with computers. I think technology has matured to the point where it's time to start making computers adapt to us!

Thanks again.
Tim
jaimatadi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thatís great but somehow if anyone controls your Mac OSX from distant location then he can change the output to his desired output

cez06
HG Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice creation imagitronics. Your post was very interesting. I'll visit those site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Toy Hacks All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: