FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

tread mill hack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kbs2244
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: tread mill hack Reply with quote

I am a first timer here and a bit out of my element. I am more a mechinical and construction guy than electronics. But you should never stop learning!
I have recently adapted the vari speed motor from a treadmill to my drill press for greater and easier speed control.
Every thing works, but I am unhappy with the actual speed control pot. It is a slide style with some kind of re-set button. I need to set it to the highest speed, turn on the power, hit the reset button, and then slow it down to the desired speed.
I would rather just have a rotrary pot that I can set and have the set speed when I turn it on. With some speed adjustment while running if needed.
I am pretty bad with drawing, but can take pics and explain what I have pretty well.
I think I am looking at two circuits. A power and a control. The 110 VAC line voltage comes in and splits to a Samung motor control module. The heavy black wire comes off the module and gos to a large transformer and then to the motor. White wire returns from the motor back to the module. So far so good. I am assuming that is the adjusted AC voltage out of the module becoming DC and then going to the motor.
Now I get out of my comfort zone.
The other side of the 110 VAC split goes to a small transformer with some electronics on the board. This transformer board has 2 outputs. One went to the display unit that showed speed, distance traveled, etc. I do not have this output hooked up to anything. The other output goes to a board with the slideing pot, a reset switch and 3 wires (red, white, black) that go to the Samsung motor control module. There is also a 4 wire output that went to the display. That 4 wire cable is not hooked up to anything.
So the control circuit goes from 110 VAC into the small transformer, out of it as 2 yellow wires that conect to a red and black going onto the pot board, through the pot and reset switch and to the motor control module as a red, white, and black cable.
I am guessing that since the outputs from the transformer to the pot board are the same color and not keyed in any way, that the pot board is taking in stepped down AC? Does that mean the red, white, and black comeing off the pot and going to the motor control modual is stepped down AC? Or has it become DC along the way?
I have a 25K rotary pot waiting to be hooked up if some one can tell me how.
I am not above buying a complete product that will accomplish this. I am end result oriented on this project. I just want to get it to work better.

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the circuit board that you are talking about is being controlled by a microcontroller you may be out of luck (without doing some major modifications) since it could have the reset button operation programmed into the safety operation of the device.

If you hold the reset button in does that fool it and let you move the pot around to adjust the speed?
kbs2244
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything the size of a micro processor on the pot board.
It is pretty small, about the size of a playing card.
It has a red LED that comes on at power on. when you push the reset button it turns off the LED and lets you use the pot. But you still have to play around with it to get it to start the motor. I never tried holding down the reset button whil setting the speed. I will try it and let you know.

I have a thread on

www.machinrbuilders.net

about how I got as far as I have. Lots of pics.
It is called vari drive motor, in the New Projects Forum.
I will try and post a clickable address.

I don't have an photo account, they let you put pics directly directly into your posting.
kbs2244
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the bad link above.
Someday I may learn to spell.
Try this one;

http://www.machinebuilders.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3221&PN=1

It should take you right to the thread.
kbs2244
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding the reset down while moving the pot didn't work.
The motor will not start with the LED lit.
The button will turn off the LED, but then you have to put the pot to dead slow, then move it to full speed (ther seems to be a faint "click" at the half way point) to turn it on. Then you can slow it down to the needed speed.
There does seem to be a 5 to 10 second lag in the first time turn on response also. By that I mean that when you push it to full speed it waits 5 seconds before starting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: