FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

USB Powered Bawls Light??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: USB Powered Bawls Light?? Reply with quote

Using the original schematic, would it be possible to use a usb cord instead of a 9v? Got all the parts, just need the knowledge.

elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course you can!, that's a great idea!

the only difference I think (with my useless little bit of knowledge) is cahnging the 470 resistor, use a ohm calculator to figure out what to use. I am using a few different LEDs but for the superbright, my guess is:

150 ohms for the same brightness of a light. The USB port is not regulated so you may look into that, it may be such little waves that aren't noticeable. I will try that also, that is a pretty cool idea. Thanks dude!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I just need to understand what all that means. Maybe a schematic would help ( Wink ) ...
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: heh Reply with quote

I don't have anywhere to host my image file so if you can give me your e-mail address I can send it over to you.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use instructables.com for hosting. here's my email: whutup_monkey777@hotmail.com . thanks

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the schematic. Found a good place for the usb cord to exit. Right below the ingredients list is a dimple, presumably used for manufacturing purposes. Drill, carefully, that out, stick cord up in it, KA-CHINK! That way the cap is less cluttered with only the photocell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished it. Looks super awesome-o. Soldering is pretty messy, but it works. Smile Any questions?
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pictures! LET US SEE PICTURES!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real sorry about the fuzzyness. I'll be posting clearer ones later. I kept the original parts except of course the power source. The original 470 ohms resistor worked okay but I'm pretty sure a 150 ohms would work better. Anyway, http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/30952600245D1029BC6B001143E7E506/?ALLSTEPS
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Real sorry about the fuzzyness. I'll be posting clearer ones later. I kept the original parts except of course the power source. The original 470 ohms resistor worked okay but I'm pretty sure a 150 ohms would work better. Anyway, http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/30952600245D1029BC6B001143E7E506/?ALLSTEPS

Nice job, looks great Cool

Yes you are right the current limiting resistor can be changed since USB is 5 Volts (not 9). If your LEDs are good for 30mA then you could go as low as 68 ohms or so.

The main 9 Volt design isn't pulling max current, I chose the resistor value with a balance of brightness and battery runtime in mind. For the 9 Volt circuit it could use a current limiting resistor of 220 ohms or so but this would kill batteries very quickly...
Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gots me a screen name now.
thanks for the praise, alan, but it was all elmetal's idea; all i did was solder it together.
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. I love LEDs. this project is an amazingly simple concept but it's kept me going for days and days adding a little of this and a little of that...

good job dude. I like the idea with the hole on the bottom of the bottle.

keep it up
Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

new pics!!!! Very Happy

better picture of cable entering bottle and one of it in the dark. if i haven't mentioned it before, i used a red led cause 'Shack was out of white.

same link as before, which is, if you're to lazy to scroll up three inches, http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/30952600245D1029BC6B001143E7E506/?ALLSTEPS

your welcome
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Modio,

Love the new pics! For future projects feel free to use the new gallery that was just set up for Hacked Gadget members:
http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/image_gallery

I am curious what type of drill you used to drill the hole in the glass. Years ago I made a Champaign bottle lamp and at that time I had access to a sand blaster which ate though the glass like butter. But recently I needed to drill a few holes in ceramic tile and I went through all kinds of bits to make only a few holes. Glass cutting bits didn't work for me, diamond impregnated bits were no good. I ended up using some Dremel bits to do the job, I used them in a normal drill though, low RPM might have been the problem I guess. Confused
Modio
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the pics in the gallery, as well...

Since I only had to make such a small hole, I first sanded the area for about thirty minutes and then I used a small Phillips screwdriver and a hammer to basically break the glass. I enlarged to the desired size use bigger and bigger screwdrivers. If you try this method, the most important thing is to go slow and take your time, espically when first breaking the bottle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: