FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

charging cell phone - 24 hours a day?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gr3nade
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: charging cell phone - 24 hours a day? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Does it hurt if you keep a cell phone charger plugged in 24/7 with the cell phone turned on?

---

I'm trying to make a cheap alarm system for my computer room. When keeping a cell phone plugged in 24/7, it would result in a charged battery when the net power gets cut off.

A simple pressure switch (or something else) would trigger a "button press" on the cell phone which would send a SMS to my other phone.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a cool idea, the answer depends on the charging circuit inside the phone. With old style charging circuits there was a constant trickle charge that kept the battery topped up however this trickle charge would kill the battery in time. Lots of modern phones (and other devices) have high tech charging circuits that are often able to totally disconnect the battery from the charge circuit when it is full and control an infrequent top up when needed.

I would review the manual to see what it says but I would think you would be safe.
gr3nade
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
That's a cool idea, the answer depends on the charging circuit inside the phone. With old style charging circuits there was a constant trickle charge that kept the battery topped up however this trickle charge would kill the battery in time. Lots of modern phones (and other devices) have high tech charging circuits that are often able to totally disconnect the battery from the charge circuit when it is full and control an infrequent top up when needed.

I would review the manual to see what it says but I would think you would be safe.

Mhmm I have a pretty old cell phone... I'll read the manual. I'll keep you guys up to date..
Jonst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know it sounds like you are going to destroy the battery, but it will still work if you connect it to the wall. I suggest asking in a tech support site, I know a very good one. I have received great tips for my RAZR V3

Here is the page for cellphone support

I hope it helps

Jon
gr3nade
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cellphone isnt even listed.. But thanks for the site.

I quote Alan:

"Lots of modern phones (and other devices) have high tech charging circuits that are often able to totally disconnect the battery from the charge circuit when it is full and control an infrequent top up when needed. "

I think he's right. I don't see why it wouldn't ruin my battery.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: