FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Camping LED's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swizzle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Camping LED's? Reply with quote

Hi i'm new to electronics, really new. I'm hoping to get some info on how to build a battery powered LED lantern that would be as bright as a coleman double burner lantern. Any info would be awesome. Thanx, Swizzle

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping LED's? Reply with quote

swizzle wrote:
Hi i'm new to electronics, really new. I'm hoping to get some info on how to build a battery powered LED lantern that would be as bright as a coleman double burner lantern. Any info would be awesome. Thanx, Swizzle

Those lanterns put out some serious light, if any LED is going to get you in the ballpark to that light output it would be from some 3 to 5 Watt LEDs. They are still very expensive but I expect prices to keep dropping as there are lots of new uses for these devices.

Link

Edited to shorten my crazy long URL

Last edited by Alan on Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
swizzle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought 2 led lanterns now from wally world hoping they would be nice and bright but the make a better tent light then an area light. How would I go about finding statistics. I'm interested in candle power for the double burner propane lantern vs. 5 watt LED. Then maybe I can get an estimate as to how many I will need to make a small camping lantern and the size battery that would be required to power such a critter. I won't be able to assemble the ingrediants yet but it shouldn't be long before I get some cash saved for play time. My ultimate goal is to create something that could help reduce the amount of empty propane cylinders I find throughout my favorite campsites. Thanx for a direction to begin my search. Swizzle
ken2400

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a multi meter and know how to musure current then check the draw on the LED light you bought. A lot of the basic LED lights draw too much and can burn out fast and use up batters faster also. A good value for each LED is around 20 ma.

Good luck
Germanboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Leds Reply with quote

I would suggest you check out the Luxeon Rebel, this is one seriously strong LED for its size (3mm by 4mm if I remember correctly). However these draw a stupid amount of current, about 700mA I think Shocked, but provide up to 180 lumen each! So your also going to need some pretty high spec batteries.
Take a look on instructables, someone has posted an instructable on how to make a head lamp using some powerful LEDS.

Hope this helps Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: