FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Programming and how to do it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Programming and how to do it? Reply with quote

Hello all. My first project with anything electrical happened yesterday. I basically recreated the bawls lamp with an added help from Alan, at which point I added a 3 way switch as well as a wall plug. Quite a step for me.

Next project I want is simple in my head but I am sure I would need some programming. I want 4 LEDs in a row, and have them blink alternatively or in some sort of pattern that can easily be changed. I have no idea how to do this, I am trying to do one project for each kind of component to learn about it. Like last project was for me to learn about transistos and photoresistors and how they work. This will be for learning maybe about capacitors, if they are needed (doubt it) and maybe programming with electricity.

This coming fall I will be attending college for an delectrical engineering major and I wanna get a jumpstart because this sort of thing really jumps out at me because it is too good.

thanks all

Felipe

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Programming and how to do it? Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:
Hello all. My first project with anything electrical happened yesterday. I basically recreated the bawls lamp with an added help from Alan, at which point I added a 3 way switch as well as a wall plug. Quite a step for me.

Next project I want is simple in my head but I am sure I would need some programming. I want 4 LEDs in a row, and have them blink alternatively or in some sort of pattern that can easily be changed. I have no idea how to do this, I am trying to do one project for each kind of component to learn about it. Like last project was for me to learn about transistos and photoresistors and how they work. This will be for learning maybe about capacitors, if they are needed (doubt it) and maybe programming with electricity.

This coming fall I will be attending college for an delectrical engineering major and I wanna get a jumpstart because this sort of thing really jumps out at me because it is too good.

thanks all

Felipe

Hey Felipe,

Glad your first project worked out! Using a 555 timer you can control an output high and low allowing you to alternately flash some LEDs.

Here is an example circuit:
http://www.radiolocman.com/electrical-engineering/circuit-cache.html?di=11171

You won't need IC2 and IC3, the max current output of a 555 is about 200mA so you should be able to drive between 6 to 10 LED on each side (12 to 20 total). This could also easily be done with a microcontroller but it would take some equipment and a bit of time to learn the programming language.

Good luck with your studies!

Alan
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: a little too advanced Reply with quote

I can recreate that on a citcuit board but it is far beyond my knowledge. I want to go in steps and learn about components so I Can go ahead and think up the schematics by myself. I have added a on off auto switch thanks to you, and now with my own trial and error I am adding a dimmer to the lamp. What do you think my next project should be to slowly learn?

(thanks for the schematics though)
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: a little too advanced Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:
I can recreate that on a citcuit board but it is far beyond my knowledge. I want to go in steps and learn about components so I Can go ahead and think up the schematics by myself. I have added a on off auto switch thanks to you, and now with my own trial and error I am adding a dimmer to the lamp. What do you think my next project should be to slowly learn?

(thanks for the schematics though)

Well 555 timers are fun. They are simple and flexible, their use has diminished over the years because of microcontrollers that can do so much. Take a look at this site:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Bill_Bowden/555.htm

There are lots of interesting projects that can be made with just a few components and a 555 timer. At the top of the page there is an introduction about how the timer works. Buy yourself a breadboard, you might want to get a resistor and a capacitor kit (these kits have a 10 or 20 common values) this way you can experiment with changing values and seeing what happens.
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a breadboard at this time. I do need to go buy some circuitboard to solder projects to though. like the bawls lamp I am making a wooden base that the bottle will sit on top of and all the wiring is hidden in the base that has a switch and a dimmer, the only wires visible will be the 2 going to the LED... I need to go find me a resistor kit and whatnot... radioshack didn't have them, where do you supposed I can buy these? can I cuy resistor assortments online? if so, wheree?
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to thank you for helping me with all these random projects of mine. thanks dude
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:
I forgot to thank you for helping me with all these random projects of mine. thanks dude

Anytime Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:
... I need to go find me a resistor kit and whatnot... radioshack didn't have them, where do you supposed I can buy these? can I cuy resistor assortments online? if so, wheree?

If you want a resistor kit, I would suggest this one http://www.elexp.com/cmp_2501.htm. They also have a capacitor kit http://www.elexp.com/cmp_cpkt.htm, but i've never used it so I don't know how valuable they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: