FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Need Help with resistors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Modio
HG Contributor


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life ultimately depends on usage, but a good (ie namebrand) 9v should last a good while.

As for the placement, hang it off the back or you can cut a hole and slip it in there. If you chose to cut, my last post on the USB Bawls Light topic might help you out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

aviper2k7
Semi Newbie


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I got done with everything, then soldered most everything, tested it with only two wires left, worked fine, then I soldered them two together, it stays on and the battery gets very hot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Modio
HG Contributor


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 29

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you soldered something wrong. perhaps if you elaborated, i could help more....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1399
Location: Winnipeg, MB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aviper2k7 wrote:
Hmm I got done with everything, then soldered most everything, tested it with only two wires left, worked fine, then I soldered them two together, it stays on and the battery gets very hot.


Welcome aviper2k7,

Thanks for answering so many questions Modio Smile

If it is getting hot now and was working before soldering it sounds like you have a solder bridge somewhere. I would check the transistor first to make sure none of the three pins are shorted together with solder. By the way the diagram you drew is fantastic Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
aviper2k7
Semi Newbie


Joined: 29 Apr 2006
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd, I think I'll use a different photocell, it's not working to good and now it's backwards, despite me marking what to solder to what. Could it be the transistor shorted?


Well, good thing I bought two of everthing, except one of my transistor wires broke off before trying to test it, guess I'll have to go across the street to radioshack and get another one, and maybe a breadboard would help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dyer13
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What controls the sensitivity of the whole thing? you could put in a potentiometer to control how sensitive you want it to be, but where does that go, for which resistor?
Back to top
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1399
Location: Winnipeg, MB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dyer13 wrote:
What controls the sensitivity of the whole thing? you could put in a potentiometer to control how sensitive you want it to be, but where does that go, for which resistor?




The 1K resistor controls how sensitive it is. Replace this with a 5K or 10K will give you lots of control. One word of caution though, either make sure you don't turn the pot to 0 ohms or install a small resistor to prevent this since that could cause transistor damage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nothingxs (guest)
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I wanted to wire it so that I could plug the lamp into the wall, what would I need to obtain and how would I go about doing it? I, like most, am electronically stupid -- my only experience with soldering comes from soldering joysticks onto Playstation 2 PCBs.
Back to top
MrCakes14
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question I have a question about the wiring for the switch...in the schematic it looks like the center pole (off) of the switch is wired to both the +9v and the 470ohm resistor/LED. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that cause the LED to be on all the time? If somebody could maybe post the schematic with the actual switch symbol (hope that's not too much to ask) that would probably help me - and maybe a few others...sorry if I'm being a pain... Confused
_________________
-Mr. Cakes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MrCakes14
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://community.webshots.com/photo/551544581/2670503540093049822RvRooZ#
Here is a link to a modified version of the schematic...I added the trimmer for the sensitivity that people were talking about...I hope I got it right. Enjoy Cool.
_________________
-Mr. Cakes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MrCakes14
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jun 2006
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCakes14 wrote:
Question I have a question about the wiring for the switch...in the schematic it looks like the center pole (off) of the switch is wired to both the +9v and the 470ohm resistor/LED. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that cause the LED to be on all the time? If somebody could maybe post the schematic with the actual switch symbol (hope that's not too much to ask) that would probably help me - and maybe a few others...sorry if I'm being a pain... Confused

Ignore that...sorry Embarassed
_________________
-Mr. Cakes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Guest
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would one go about connecting more than one LED to it? assuming that the LED's are parallel, how would the resistance need to vary? and at which point in time would more than one 9V be necessary?
Back to top
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1399
Location: Winnipeg, MB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
How would one go about connecting more than one LED to it? assuming that the LED's are parallel, how would the resistance need to vary? and at which point in time would more than one 9V be necessary?


Keeping with the same resistor values you could put another 470 ohm and LED right beside the existing one. You could also put another LED in seriese with the existing one however then you would have to change the resistor value.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Guest
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so as long as i put them in parallel all I have to do is add a resistor of the same value for each LED? and do I connect the resistors in parallel and then the LED's in parallel, or do i connect resistor-LED pairs in parallel?

sry, im not that great with electronics yet...

Thanks though
Back to top
Alan
Site Admin


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1399
Location: Winnipeg, MB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
so as long as i put them in parallel all I have to do is add a resistor of the same value for each LED? and do I connect the resistors in parallel and then the LED's in parallel, or do i connect resistor-LED pairs in parallel?

sry, im not that great with electronics yet...

Thanks though


Take a resistor/LED pair and hook it up in parallel. Therefore you will connect only one lead of the resistor and one lead of the LED to the existing circuit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group