FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Need Help with resistors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
elmetal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Need Help with resistors Reply with quote

Hello all.

as you probably have seen, http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/04/12/what-to-do-with-blue-bawls/ , that is the project I want to do with a little twist to it.

I want, instead of a battery powered, I want it plugged into the wall. I need to know exactly how I would come about doing that with resistors and whatnot. I also want a 3 way button in the sense that it would have: ON, OFF, and AUTO. so that when it's off, it's off no matter what. at on, it's on no matter what and in auto, it senses if there is no light around ti will turn on with the sensor that they had in the original project.

I am totally new to electrical projects and I would love the help.

thanks much guys

Felipe

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Help with resistors Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:

I want, instead of a battery powered, I want it plugged into the wall. I need to know exactly how I would come about doing that with resistors and whatnot. I also want a 3 way button in the sense that it would have: ON, OFF, and AUTO. so that when it's off, it's off no matter what. at on, it's on no matter what and in auto, it senses if there is no light around ti will turn on with the sensor that they had in the original project.

Hi Elmetal and welcome,

I posted a response in the comments section of the article but here it is.

What you would need is a single pole, double throw (center off) switch. It doesn't have to look like the one in the picture but it will need to have a center off position.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&cp=&productId=2062515&origkw=spdt&kw=spdt&tab=summary

The center will be off. On the switch connect the 9 Volt positive wire to the common terminal (center).

Then to do the auto and on mode you will need a resistor. Connect one end of the 1K resistor to the transistor base and the other side of the 1K resistor to one of the empty switch terminals. Then connect the last empty switch terminal to where 9 Volts was connected in the original circuit (top of 100K and 470K resistors).

As far as powering it from the wall look for a wall plug that is rated at 9 Volts DC, with a current at least 50mA (not sure you could find one smaller but just in case). This would allow you to use the same values in the schematic. However you could use other power supplies with different voltages by adjusting the resistor values.

Last edited by Alan on Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: thanks dude Reply with quote

thanks dude... I am really new to this whole thing so a lot of the terminology I don't understand but I'll print this out and I'll figure things out bro.. thanks a lot!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: thanks dude Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:
thanks dude... I am really new to this whole thing so a lot of the terminology I don't understand but I'll print this out and I'll figure things out bro.. thanks a lot!

No problem. If you can't figure it out let me know and I will draw a schematic for what you need to do.
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would totally help me... if it wouldn't be too much trouble that is...
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmetal wrote:
that would totally help me... if it wouldn't be too much trouble that is...

No trouble Smile This should do it. I haven't breadboarded it to test it but it should work fine. The switch doesn't have to look like the one in the picture as long as it operates the same.

I made the picture of the switch big and didn't use switch symbols so that all you have to do is connect the wires the way it looks.

Note: Schematic updated April 19, 2005 (thanks Elvizz)

Last edited by Alan on Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:00 pm; edited 4 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k now you confused me. I don't know what the zigzags are. I'm guessing it's transistor. and then the antena looking thing next to the photon thing... I am so confused.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
k now you confused me. I don't know what the zigzags are. I'm guessing it's transistor. and then the antena looking thing next to the photon thing... I am so confused.

Have a look here:
http://www.instructables.com/ex/i/7574B93E1B6610299AD7001143E7E506/

The Resistors are the zigzags
The Photocell is the zigzag with a circle around
The Transistor is the device in the circle with three leads (B, C, E)
The LED has two leads, the one that gets connected to the transistor has a flat spot on it.
The thing that looks like an upside-down tree at the bottom represents ground (the negative side of your battery or plug in wall transformer)

Hope this helps a bit.
elmetale

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much dude... this will help a million.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmetale wrote:
thanks so much dude... this will help a million.

Anytime Wink
Seanie990

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the switch placed?
Is the place where the lines touch in the schematic where soldering is done?
Is breadboarding really necessary?

You really are quite patient for all of the questions us "technologically impaired" people are asking you. I'm lost. Shocked
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seanie990 wrote:
How is the switch placed?
Is the place where the lines touch in the schematic where soldering is done?
Is breadboarding really necessary?

You really are quite patient for all of the questions us "technologically impaired" people are asking you. I'm lost. Shocked

Yes where the line touches the switch that is where you solder it. I don't mind helping out Smile
elmetal
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea the doldering points are where they connect.

the switch is placed wherever you put it, mine is being setup on a wooden base board. you can mount it on a circuit board.

the breaboarding is just to test out your circvuit and make sure it works.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted some schematic diagram symbol links in the resource area. These might help you out also Seanie990. Thanks for clearing up the breadboard question Elmetal, I must be doing selective reading Wink

http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?p=173#173

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the original diagram connected to B on the transistor is both the 100k resistor and photocell end. And then connected to the E is one of the leads of the led. Does it matter which lead it is? Positive or negative? Then connected to E is the negative of the 9 volt wire. The positive end of the wire is connected to both of the resistors. Is this right. Sorry if it is confusing. I know I didn't add all the connections.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: