FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Beginning transistors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DashDingo
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Beginning transistors Reply with quote

Hey,

I've recently gotten into electronics and have come to a stop at transistors. For the life of me can't figure out how to hook the dang things up. I've googled around and looked through "Electronics for Dummies", but I still don't know how.

I understand the basic concept and everything, just don't know how to hook it up to my components. Does anyone have any pictures or anything that can help me figure out what to do?

Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what you are trying to do. That will delegate how you hook it up. Can you tell me what you are trying to do? We would be glad to help.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dashdingo,

Welcome to the forum, as Nginuity mentioned we need to know the application since transistors can be used in many ways. For example they can be used as a simple high current switch so that something with a low current output such as a microcontroller can power something large like a motor. They can also be used to amplify things like when used in audio amplifiers (and many other uses)

In the resources section there is a link to a site that has some interesting visual demonstrations, they may help you to understand the basics.

http://forum.hackedgadgets.com/viewtopic.php?t=191
DashDingo
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I eventually plan on making some bottle lights (from http://hackedgadgets.com/2006/04/12/what-to-do-with-blue-bawls/ ), but the picture included with that one still doesn't really show me how exactly to wire it up.

All I'm really looking for is just like a picture of how to wire it up; schematics don't really help me.

Also, thanks for the link, Alan - it did explain a lot to me about transistors Razz
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, page 3 has pictures of everything wired up on a breadboard. This link has a picture of a transistor and the pin assignments. Match the pin letters to the letters on the schematic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: