FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Soldering surface mount components

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Resources
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Soldering surface mount components Reply with quote

I was searching the web today looking for a replacement method to solder paste for surface mount components. I found this:

http://www.natrium42.com/blog/?p=40

I must say, when I saw this guy scrape across the pins of that microcontroller, I almost lost it, but it appears to work VERY well with the flux pen applied to the pins before hand, and it looks a lot better than most of the homemade surface mounted components I have seen. Takes a lot less time than then paste method too.

Admittedly, the background music makes it very fun to watch as well.

LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't say that I didn't feel iffy about what he was doing there for the moment, but it's much less time consuming than trying to do it the old fashioned way.
And the music was from Super Smash Bros Melee Laughing
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three songs?

Edit:

How not to solder SMT, hehe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qYG95bbz8

I know it's his first time, but it's a good contra example. I applaud his efforts.

Last edited by Nginuity on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
LiesOfXIII
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First song was a Mario song, second was from SuperSmashBros Melee, third was Daft Punk - Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SMT components with larger pin widths, like the one in the second video, all I do is secure a couple of pins on one side, then grab a glob of solder on the iron, and run it down the other side. I then grab solder wick and run that down on the side. It cleans up the pins a bit and also fixes any solder bridges. Fastest way to solder 14 pins! I'm guessing if I had flux I might not even need the solder wick.
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, use the flux pen Smile It's a great thing. It's a good idea anyway, because it allows the solder to flow faster into the joint, and more homogeneous, which means you don't have to heat it as long to get a good mechanical connection. No solder bridges is just an added bonus Smile

I do, however, use the pen on perf board in between components to battle surface tension to make solder lines.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going go have to pick up a flux pen. Seems to work very well. Not sure why the guy in the second video used sooooo much solder... Since in the end that huge blob just has to be wicked out anyway. For this thpe of work though I still think solder paste and an oven (or a hot plate) would work the best. Smile Although for the odd board I guess this would be faster than making a stencil etc.

What are you building Nginuity?

http://www.instructables.com/id/EBXC76M6V5EP28623C?ALLSTEPS
http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/ReflowToaster/reflow-hotplate.htm
Nginuity
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
What are you building Nginuity?

Well, when I ran across the article, I was devising a better way for mounting my SMT microprocessors I ordered from Microchip by mistake instead of PLCC's. Anyway, long story short, I was kind of put off by the time it was taking me to set up everything necessary to use the solder paste method. This week, though, I have just been salvaging needed components from old VCR's (RCA jack sets, crystals, transformers, push switches: Lots of these)

I am, however, in the beginning stages of building a bigger version of the RGB LED Driver I saw on the page a few weeks back, into something that I can mount in the globe of a ceiling fan and ben controlled with slide switches on the wall.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am, however, in the beginning stages of building a bigger version of the RGB LED Driver I saw on the page a few weeks back, into something that I can mount in the globe of a ceiling fan and ben controlled with slide switches on the wall.

Sounds interesting Very Happy
walruslemon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Flux Pen Reply with quote

I use a flux pen, its the secret of ssop soldering.
If you get a bridge, cover it with flux, and dab your iron on it, the bridge usually dissapears like magic.

I also prefer the copper-tin solder (without silver), I think the silver stuff doesn't 'stick' as well to the pins...
rs_shadow0000

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With SMT apparatus with beyond pin widths, like the one in the additional video, all I do is defended a brace of pins on one side, again grab a block of adhesive on the iron, and run it down the added side. I again grab adhesive wick and run that down on the side. It cleans up the pins a bit and aswell fixes any adhesive bridges. Fastest way to adhesive 14 pins! I'm academic if I had alteration I ability not even charge the adhesive wick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Resources All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: