FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Check out my new project. Don't think it's seen before.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Check out my new project. Don't think it's seen before. Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I've made a cool PIC/LED project. I think this may very well be the first of its kind. At least i came up with the idea myself.

It's an interactive picture frame!

Sorry for the poor picture quality. When I used the camera flash, the LED effect was unnoticable, and I diden't have the patience to set my tripod.

I'm very fond of Skype. I've got myself a cordless skype phone and has my computer turned on whenever I'm avake. Actually i hardly use my regular phone. This opens up for some possibilities.

I've interfaced the skype software using the Skype SDK (which by the way is a great SDK!!!)

Here's where the picture frame comes in.

The picture frame can hold 5 passport-photo sized pictures, and each frame glass will glow whenever the person in the frame is online. The base is in a very nice hardwood. So hard that i had to use a metal milling machine to mill the grooves for the plexiglass. The rear glass is sandblasted.

As soon as I've etched a PCB for the frame and assembled everything, I'll post a guide as well as driver software on my webpage. This will include much better pictures Smile

www.volunteerlabrat.com

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this project looks and sounds very interesting. Look forward to the final project an more details.
Very Happy
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice so far. How are you connecting your computer to the PIC?
davidbue
HG Junior

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject: Hi BronzeG3 Reply with quote

Hi BronzeG3.

This is what I've done.

5 LED's are connected to the B0-B4 pins on my PIC16f628 processor.
A max232 chip and 5 ancillary capacitors give me serial communications.
Power is supplied externally using a 5V voltage regulator.

If you use a better/larger PIC processor you could make the system USB powered, and draw the power to the board from the USB port of your computer. If one wanted to make a user-friendly product, this would be preferred. You could allso use a seperate USB/serial communications chip with the PIC16f628 or a similar PIC, but I just used what i had on the shelf.

If you're not so familiar with PIC programming, I'd reccomend you to visit my website www.volunteerlabrat.com where i've got a tutorial that let's you build your own small dongle-style PIC programmer and tells you how to make your first PIC project, where you'll learn to blink an LED from the PIC processor.

On my site you'll allso find my RS232 (serial comm.) breake-out board, which is a small board holding the MAX232 chip and the 5 caps, so that you can keep you breadboard/test setup cleaner. By studiyng this breake-out board, you'll learn how to build up your own serial communications interface to be used in your PIC projects.

If you'd like further information on how to build the pictureframe, or regarding PIC programming in general, then feel free to cantact me. I've got a contact form on my website you can use.

Kindest regards.
David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: