FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Power conversion question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beautifoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Power conversion question Reply with quote

Hey everybody, sorry for my first post being a question and all, but I was hoping someone could help me out with something. This is not related to a project, but I frequent this site and enjoy reading about all the ideas posted here and you all seem like a very clever bunch, hehe. If I posted in the wrong forum, please forgive me.

Anyway, on to the question. I am originally from Europe, I moved here (to the US) in January. During the summer I took my girlfriend back to the "old country" and when it was time to return I noticed I had some spare room in one of my suitcases and decided to go grab my old PS2 out of the parents basement where it, with most of my old crap, had been in storage.

I'd pretty much forgotten about the machine til the other day when I got the itch for some Gran Turismo and wanted to hook it up. However, since this is a PAL model, with the 230/240V power adapter (I never remember which one we use in Sweden) I was unsure if it would be safe to just plug it in (with a converter for the connector of course) without any voltage adaptors for the 110V used here.

Does anyone know what, if anything, I need to hook up for it to run properly. The built in adaptor doesn't specify that it'll work with both voltages, it is only listed with "220-240V 50/60Hz 50W" on the back. It would be a shame to plug it in and then find myself in a dark room with that not so comforting smell of burning electronics.

Thanks in advance for any and all input!

BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell adapters that convert US 120V devices to use 220V sockets when traveling, so I'm sure they make converters to go the other way around. You might have another problem though, TV standards. Most of Europe uses PAL while the USA uses NTSC. http://www.ihffilm.com/videostandard.html. There might be adapters for that as well, but you might be better off buying a new PS2.
Beautifoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PAL / NTSC issue won't be a problem since my machine has been, uhm... "Played" with. That's the main reason I brought it instead of just buying a new one.

I've looked for converters, but basically the only thing I can find is US -> European, nothing for the other way around. But I'll keep looking, thanks for the info, and any additional help is very appreciated of course.
BronzeG3
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Played" with, eh? Fair enough. A quick googling found this: http://www.220-electronics.com/Transformers/trans/twowaytrans.htm. I don't know anything about the company, their site, or even used a simlar product, but it looks promicing. My PS2 says it takes just under 80 watts. Going for the safe choice of the 200 watt model won't set you back all that much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: