FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Portable Desktop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
imp558
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Portable Desktop Reply with quote

I just joined the forum, and I tend to do some wierd things being a long time technician and closet robotics enthusiast. Hopefully you guys will appreciate my portable desktop. After stuff I had laying around it cost me about $300. These pics don't show the chrome trim around the monitor (added later), and the switches and indicators are on a piece of aluminium under the monitor now. I still need a grill over the power supply vent, and some pretty little chains in place of the hunks of wire that help support the lid. The next step will be to install my device programmer so it just shows a socket and indicator, and some black paint on the monitor brackets. The monitor is safely behind a piece of Lexan but it's hard to see.
The reason for this project is that I dual boot, which is easier from 2 seperate drives, and I need a third drive to use for storage of gigs and gigs of schematics. The drive in the middle was to be my windows drive but I found it had given up the ghost so a new WD3200 lives there now. The whole thing sends a little warm air out the back but nothing gets hot.
Hope you like..............
http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o168/imp558/PortableDesktop/

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, imp558 Very Happy

Wow, cool case mod!

eric
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice mod!
imp558
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you guys appreciate it. I'm in the process of installing an network jack externally if I can find them. Once everything is completed I'll update my photobucket.
ginbot86
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be too hard. They have short Ethernet extension cords, or Ethernet jacks for assembling onto a small PCB.
PhotonicGuy
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive, practical and ... funny
imp558
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been 8 years and the computer is still used daily, the last couple of years it hasn't left the shop but it still runs and works every day. It's been through 3 motherboard upgrades and now runs SSD drives but the over all form and function is the same.

Just googling around tonight and I find a lot of links and stolen photos of it, really surprising how cruel people can be with the comments and criticism.

Oh well, in the end I had a portable PC back in 2008 that booted two operating systems from their own drives and another drive just for data. It was more upgradable than any laptop on the market then or now and it served me, and continues to serve me well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Case Mods All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: