FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED lighting with tracking sysem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GezaazY
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: LED lighting with tracking sysem Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and wanted say hello first.

Now on to my problem:

I have a pathway (or walkway) that I want to light up with LEDs. It is about 40m long. The easiest way would be to mount LEDs on the sides and use a switch to turn them on. But that's not my case.

What I would like to do is:
If someone walks the path, some LEDs turn on at the position the person is and say about 1m in the direction of walking. The result would be somekind of guiding light or something.

The thing is that I don't know how to create the tracking system that would track the persons position and send the corresponding signal to microchip that would light up correct LEDs.

I have looked for different sensors (ultrasonic, infrared, laser) but have yet to find one that would cover the whole 30m strip with max of 2-4 sensors.

If anyone has a clue what to use (maybe even video tracking) please help me out.

All ideas are welcome.

Oh, one more thing, the budget for the tracking system is about $500 (only the tracking part, not whole system).

Thanks you all in advance.

GezaazY

Alexander125
HG Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all, welcome to the team.
It's an interesting sistem and a fun project, but it would be kinda' hard to make it with only 3 0r 4 sensors.
I know a site www.techsupplies.co.uk and you will find there an ultrasonic range sensor easely incorporated in a PICAXE sistem.
Best of all it's got a range of 3 meters and an accuracy of 3 cm, or 10 ft and 2 and 2 eights inches.
You need to buy about 20 of those.
They're about 20 bucks each and you need a PICAXE 40X2 or PIC18f4420
if you know C++.
Or you could simply use some infrared LED's and some IR recievers to switch on a section of the led strip.
A laser range finder could work but it's complicated.
The best thing is the PICAXE sistem.
GezaazY
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alexander

Using IR LED-s and receivers is not an option because it will mean that I or someone else needs to carry an extra item for the lights to work.

Using more than 3-4 sensors is complicated in many ways. First thing is waterproofing. Second, every component that you add to your system, makes it a lot unstable.

Maybe I need to be more clear about what I need.

A random object (human, bike, car, ATV) moves down the walkway. Sensor detects movement, turns on a segment of LEDs about 1,5 meters long. Object continuous to move at random speed down the walkway. If it passes a group of LEDs, lets say 5, they turn of and same number of LEDs turn on at the other end. I know it does not have much practical value but thought it would look pretty cool.

About what i have figured out so far:
1. Ultrasonic has a low range and in my understanding very low angle for detection. I can mount sensors only on the sides of the walkway so I'll need a lot of them to cover the walkway.
2. Lasers might do the trick, but they are really expensive.
3. IR range sensors have also very low range of detection.
4. RFID and and IR receivers and such don't help me much, I don't want to carry somekind of transmitter around all the time.

I thought that maybe it can be done with a CCTV camera or two that have the capability to detect IR light. If I mount the IR LEDs on the strips so that they all have same distance to each other, I could use this as a reference guide to calculate the distance and direction of the object. Only thing then is to write some kind of algorithm to detect and track objects. Maybe put in 1-2 motion sensors to turn the camera/s on.
Alexander125
HG Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see but it's really complicated.
A gliph tracking camera perhaps or thermal camera?and a software. I d k
I am running out of ideas
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting project. I am wondering if our stair lighting controller could work in this application.

http://alan-parekh.vstore.ca/index.php/cPath/1

Either way let us know the direction you go.
GezaazY
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice controller.

It seems that it will switch on all lights when you step on the bottom or top step, am I correct?

In that case, it wont do the trick, sorry.

I think the best way for now is to look into some nightvision cameras and see what I can come up with.

If someone has more ideas about the tracking part, you are very welcome.
If someone has some input about using cameras to track objects, you are welcome also.

Thanks for all so far.
GezaazY
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know a good resource for robots that track moving objects using a camera?
Thought it would be a good starting point for my project.
Baker
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: LED lighting with tracking sysem Reply with quote

I was looking for a tracking system till i find...

http://www.loc8tor.com/products.asp

Wink
GezaazY
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Baker

Thanks for the link but their products don't suit me.

As I said in previous posts, the system must work without me or some one else carrying a tag or something.

Thanks anyway.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an open source video tracking solution that may fit the bill.
http://letsmakerobots.com/node/3843
HyperHacker
HG Junior

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video tracking really seems like overkill. If you want to limit to 3 or 4 sensors, why can't you use diagonal lasers? Example:
Code:
|\|
|/|
|\|
|/|
The lasers shine at an angle across the walkway to a photocell. When one is tripped you light up that section, and keep it lit up for a few seconds, to give the person time to reach the next beam. If they don't cross the next one within that time it just shuts off (in case it was just a squirrel or something), otherwise when they cross the second beam the first section shuts off and the second lights up.

You could probably seal both the lasers and photocells in airtight transparent boxes for waterproofing and protection from the elements. You'd just have to make sure the laser is aimed precisely at the photocell and put it in a tube so light from other angles won't hit it.

If you want it to light up 1m sections you could just use a timer. Once the first beam has been tripped it will light up the first metre for a couple seconds, then the second, etc. It should work in the majority of cases, when people are just walking along, if you time it correctly.
If you have any sort of computer or programmable IC involved (which on a $400 budget you certainly could do), it could even measure how long it takes to go from one beam to the next, and use that to better synchronize the remaining sections to the person's speed. Even keep a running average so the timing automatically sets itself to the average walking speed of the people passing through.
hgcomer
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Flexible Led Strips Reply with quote

What I can suggest is flexible led strips, plus led controllers and power supplies. You may save money and get more light. Just a suggestions.
rayleich
HG Junior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just what i am looking for! Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: