FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

how bout using laser diode from a laser printer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joka
HG Junior

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: how bout using laser diode from a laser printer Reply with quote

could one build a laser pointer from laser printer diode i just read this article that tells you that laser printer have laser diodes i want to build a powerful laser pointer that i can use to burn pop balloons with.

Link

--Edited to shorten link (BG3)

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: how bout using laser diode from a laser printer Reply with quote

joka wrote:
could one build a laser pointer from laser printer diode i just read this article that tells you that laser printer have laser diodes i want to build a powerful laser pointer that i can use to burn pop balloons with.

Link

--Edited to shorten link (BG3)

Hi Joka,

I am sure it is possible, however I bet there are some models that would work well and others that would not... I don't think the laser would have to be extremely powerful in a printer either. Could be wrong though.
joka
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: to alan Reply with quote

hi alan for your reply it seems the forum is abit quiet your the only one the replys mostly people questions. I have been reading forum threads before i joined only joined approx 3 days ago
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: to alan Reply with quote

joka wrote:
hi alan for your reply it seems the forum is abit quiet your the only one the replys mostly people questions. I have been reading forum threads before i joined only joined approx 3 days ago

There is spurts of activity around here, but trust me there are lots of smart people that hang around and answer questions. Smile
joka
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: to alan Reply with quote

so alan have you succeeded making the laser from dvd rw rom i think it is a great project make it n sell it on ebay you can make solid profit this way. Investment then can be used for more tools and circuit boards n etc.
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: to alan Reply with quote

joka wrote:
so alan have you succeeded making the laser from dvd rw rom i think it is a great project make it n sell it on ebay you can make solid profit this way. Investment then can be used for more tools and circuit boards n etc.

Actually it was featured on Hacked Gadgets but created by someone else.
joka
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: replying to alan Reply with quote

yh i know but his description on his site is not that detailed and he does not show the laser in action.
gelo
HG Junior

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

laser modules out of laser printers are infrared...
seth3d

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably depend upon the type of laser printer as I have seen two types. There is a type which uses a single laser to scan the output onto the drum which is the least common type. The optics assembly is very complex, and these are usually older laser printers and high end systems (high end being the key word). More commonly you will find the type that uses a linear array of of less powerful lasers.

I think you should quickly be able to determine the difference after looking at a few laser printers.
danielrigano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your experiment's result?
Alexander125
HG Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so, because most of them are IR, i would recommend you the Laser Diode from a dvd player. The're blinding bright
smox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some laser diode in the printer is about 500mW or 200mW in red wavelength. It is enough to build the burning laser module. But be care of your eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Laser Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: