FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

Electric Chair - Halloween Prop

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robo
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Electric Chair - Halloween Prop Reply with quote

My son's school has a haunted house every year. This year I built an electric chair for it. It went over really well. The look on the principal's face was priceless when he sat in it and it turned on Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwe2r86Pxw

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a great project!
marine_2003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the electric chair. My co-workers and I are planning a build for Halloween this year. We really like the IR beam and the light dimming. Can you provide some information on the wiring and parts used for this chair for us since we are not savvy on the electrical work.

Thank You
robo
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the most elegant solution, but I used parts I had laying around.

I started with an infrared door minder kit -> http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/item/KIT_130/search/Infrared-Barrier-Door-Minder-Kit

I did not mount the IR Sender or Receiver on the boards, but instead soldered leads to them and mounted them in the arms of the chair and mounted the boards under the chair with all the other electronics.

The infrared door minder has a relay with NO & NC outputs. I fed this relay with a 12v wall wart and ran the two outputs to two solid state power relays.
Both of these relays where fed with 120Vac. The output of the relay fed by the NC went to the outlet on the back of the chair for the room lighting. The output of the relay fed by the NO went to a power strip that fed the orbital sander, strobe lights, and air solenoid.

Hopefully my description makes it clear, if not let me know.

Rob...
marine_2003

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all sounds good in my head, but I wouldn't know where to begin when it came to wiring this thing up. I know very little about electrical and when I tried soldering a board together for another project, it never worked correctly so I gave up on it.
bigboypants
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is nice! I was actually expecting it to be kind of a prank chair. A lil zap like we used to do in highschool. Great chair.

http://dailyiphones.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: