FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

What devices have you taken apart for fun / Parts / Repairs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lock-Os
HG Junior

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: What devices have you taken apart for fun / Parts / Repairs? Reply with quote

I'm just curious to see what people have taken apart to get at perfectly good parts from otherwise broken items, or just for fun, or to repair something. I've taken apart a drill, microwave, carpet sweeper, water cooler, and a printer all in the name for parts and mechanical knowledge. Other than that, I've actully made minor repairs to many things, including a Laminating machine and today I've repaired my old PS2.

So, what things have you repaired or taken apart for fun or parts?

Turd
HG Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More things than I can remember Laughing Printers, scanners, computers, cell phones, cordless/corded phone, RC cars, DVD players, VCRs, microwaves, CD players, etc.
Everyone brings me there dead electronics so I strip the boards, motors and anything else and throw out the rest Very Happy

eric
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up I took apart everything I owned. Smile It is amazing what goodies are available in what most people consider old junk. I just have to control myself now to reduce the amount of stuff I collect.

Have a look at this category that David Fowler has compiled at uC Hobby also.
http://www.uchobby.com/index.php/category/scrounging-parts/
gridleak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'll take apart any electronic device for the parts.

At one time, I used to ship used parts to a high school teacher that had an electronics class after school just for the shipping costs. Some of the kids were interested in robotics, etc, and he made great use if stepper motors, gears and other stuff I sent up.

Haven't heard from him in a while, and he doesn't reply to my e-mails anymore, so I don't know if he still does that or not. I have a fair sized box ready for him too.

Cheers for now!
Tekwiz
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above, & then some. I actively collect discarded electronix just to scrap for parts. Most of my parts stock was acquired this way. I look for junk nukers especially, because their transformers are so easy to rework.
JoOngle
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
When I was growing up I took apart everything I owned. Smile It is amazing what goodies are available in what most people consider old junk. I just have to control myself now to reduce the amount of stuff I collect.

*Nods in recognition* Rolling Eyes

Ditto and then some, actually - most of my new stuff lasted maximum
a month before I threw my grubby little fingers on it and totally
took the toys / radio / stereos etc. apart, much to my parents dismay
and grief as they knew the price of my little new toys.

That soon changed when I started to put stuff together again,
including helping to repair the family TV at an age of 12, then
all of a sudden that was a blessing rather than a curse.

Blessing or not - this thing has HAUNTED me for the rest of my life
even if Electronics for most people - either as a profession or hobby
died with the 80s., mine went on for the rest of my life (as a Hobby
that is).

Ive tried to "sell" even "GIVE away" my last 3 workshops in order
to "focus" on my work....as a graphics artist (3D Modeller), but it
never worked out - my passion for electronics is STUCK in me like
a disease, or a blessing - not really sure what, because I too like
you Allan...collect hideous amounts of electronic components,
surplus (usually brand new stuff, those parts that are used are usually
expensive stuff like instruments, motors, relays etc.) but everything
else is brand new since we live in a "component mecca" these days.

One thing thats funny with these "gotta sell of my entire workshop"
episodes Ive had in my life - is that they always return back
to me - with a vengeance, usually with more modern instruments,
100 times the component stash and whatnot Laughing

What can you do....
Tekwiz
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jo0ngle, the next time you want to give away your shop, let me know. I'll gladly pay the shipping. Very Happy
grow14me2
HG Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love taking things apart as a kid. I did the nintendo and the vcr back then. Most recently it was my video camera, but that was due to a jammed tape and too much tequila on spring break.
Alexander125
HG Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took apart 3 printers( 2HP,1Cannon) 5 or 6 cell phones, watches, colcks, phones, R\C cars( 20 or so) 3 TV's, I am working on one Microwave, various speciality motherboards From my dad's workplace, 3 fridges, 1 washing machine, I used to buy a lot of MECANO, LEGO's( 20 Kg, 40 lbs )
Speakers, soon a HiFi, a Desktop computer, power supplies, cameras, PC monitors, single use cameras( I once touched the pins of a charged photo capacitor, 200 V through my heart for 2 ms) scanners, VCR's, DVD players.
That's what I took apart.
I fixed a PC, a heater, a printer, 2 or thee clocks, 2 phones.
wolf1234link

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: things ive taken apart Reply with quote

so far i have taken apart my bro's broken xbox,my neighbours computer that was broke (of course),some other stuff i cant remember and at the moment im taking apart a foam disc shoter cant wait to see arts sadly one of he scres in it got worn down
Pavel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many to remember. I got punished all the time as a kid because windup toys would not last long in my possession.
JingleJoe
HG Supreme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man I can't even begin to tell you what I've taken apart! That was my favorite childhood past-time.
When I was very young, maybe 10 years old, I remember getting an electronic shock from a TV I was taking apart, I poked and proded too close to the flyback transformer Rolling Eyes

A few days ago I took apart a CD player / radio / tape deck and within seconds of removing it I converted the tape deck into an electricity generator Laughing Got a bunch of good capacitors inside it too, but the tiny surface mount resistors are no use I can barely see them let alone solder them!

Old electronic stuff is best for taking apart, they're full of nice big resistors! I've got a few resistors from before 1950 that I got from some ancient home-made multimeters, they put your manhood to shame.
bumblebeepee
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive taken nearly everything apart, (WARNING: this is a huge load of waffle)
i usually only take things apart when theyre broke, to try and fix em...
(using the saying, if it aint broke, dont fix it, as in the past ive taken something working apart and its not functioned since.. an 5gb creative zen mp3 player for example)
a short list of various things and components ive gotten will follow.. as naming them all will take some time..

recently (just yesterday) it has been a broken 1tb hard disc that a friend gave me, thats become a set of 3 coasters and a coaster holder, to replace my old coaster set made from a very old 1.95gb hard disc
a good place to get capacitors from (larger ones, and some smaller ones) will be computer PSU's and TV's / Computer Monitors, (taken apart 2 psu's and 3 monitors before)

various other tings have been:
Hifi's, xbox360, old xbox, ps2, vcr's, dvd players, a hell of a lot of computers, guitar amplifier (practice amp), mp3 players and mobile phones, many cd / dvd rom drives, printers and radio controlled cars.
best things from these objects, (and main reasons for dismantling)
spare cable for projects, lasers from dvd drives (some drives are various cup holders in computers now), switches and electronic components,

A good find was inside a mp3 player (mentioned earlier) i got a 20gb tiny hard disc from it, which was the same size and used same connections as a compact flash memory card, and worked too!

successful repairs of things have been cannibalising disc drives for parts to fit others, a guitar amp, a lcd monitor, old xbox, computer graphic card,..
..and an mp4 player (a different one than mentioned earlier) a creative vision:M, of which a screen broke and was repaired with another from another of the same mp4 player from ebay ( which had a broken touch-pad), in which the second made up using the broken parts (broken screen and touch-pad) has became part of a few projects, one of which was an entry to this websites Halloween project.

a good thing to do is either take every usable component from a circuit board, or keep the whole board so you can help yourself whenever you need something.
(i will try and picture my mass of junk that ive hoarded)
bumblebeepee
HG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to note, all this (on my previous post) was over a few years
grow14me2
HG Junior

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Future engineer? Reply with quote

Funny, I know a lot of engineers who took things apart as kids. Good for parents to know, right? If you have a child taking apart your toaster, you may just have a future engineer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Anything goes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: