FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

updating old electronics with 3 prong plug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sho_Bud
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: updating old electronics with 3 prong plug Reply with quote

I've done some research on how to do this, but i have this old sony microphone pre amp that seems to have been originally wired up differently than other gear that i've looked at.

The original plug had one wire going to the fuse, which then went to the transformer. The other wire went to the on/off switch, and then went from the on/off switch to the transformer.

The original cable prongs were not polarized.

How should i wire up a new cable that has a ground cable...it's black, white, and green.

Thanks!

Sho_Bud
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Nobody has input on this subject? Hacked Gadgets electronics help forum? Really?
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sho_Bud wrote:
Really? Nobody has input on this subject? Hacked Gadgets electronics help forum? Really?

LOL, I didn't see the question until now. Smile

You would take your black wire and connect it to the switch. This will allow the switch to disconnect the live circuit from the device when switched off.

The white wire would get connected to the fuse.

The green wire would get bolted to the metal chassis of the unit.

Normally the fuse and the switch are both on the hot side but since it was manufactured this way there is no sense in changing it.
Sho_Bud
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Alan!

with the original wiring i was having problems with input level on the amp. When i touched the chassis with my finger, the input level behaves fine it seems. By touching the chassis, is this the same affect of an added ground wire?

I posted this on another forum and got this response. Please tell me what you think:

"Generally speaking the ground wire is connected to the chassis. But considering the circuit wasn't designed with a saftey ground in mind the whole thing could explode if you wire it like that so proceed at your own risk"
Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sho_Bud wrote:
Thanks for the reply Alan!

with the original wiring i was having problems with input level on the amp. When i touched the chassis with my finger, the input level behaves fine it seems. By touching the chassis, is this the same affect of an added ground wire?

I posted this on another forum and got this response. Please tell me what you think:

"Generally speaking the ground wire is connected to the chassis. But considering the circuit wasn't designed with a saftey ground in mind the whole thing could explode if you wire it like that so proceed at your own risk"

I don't think you have any issues with it exploding. Smile Since the original design would just have no connection to the chassis. The hot and neutral would have no reference to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: