FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

How to demagnitize or erase a computers hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sciwhyfly
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: How to demagnitize or erase a computers hard drive Reply with quote

For a science project I am looking for a compact device that can fit in a pocket or purse and has the ability to demagnitize or wipe out a computers hard drive without physicly touching the computer.

The goal is to find a device compact in size and able to fit in a pocket or purse that when activated any computer within about five to ten feet has its hard drive erased or demagnitized as a result.

Thank all for any advice :idea:

Alan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very powerful electro-magnet would do the trick but I think it would be very hard to make it small enough to fit in that form factor. With a metal computer case and a the metal hard drive in the way it would be very hard to magnetically change the data on the disk but it is possible.
horomancer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that the magnets used to write to a hard drive are amazing strong, but so small that they are only effective for a few millimeters around them. I think your goal is a hard thing to reach, but if you look for some of the data compiled for 'what if' terrorist attacks, you'll probably find alot about EMP and the risk such devices pose. Your proabably more likely to damage the surrounding electronics than wipe an HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> Electronic Help All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: