FAQFAQ   GalleryGallery   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Forum RSS Feed   Hacked Gadgets Main Site 

LED Cove lighting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmomike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: LED Cove lighting Reply with quote

I want to put cove lighting in my family room. "Cove lighting is a form of indirect lighting built into ledges, recesses, or valences in a ceiling or high on the walls of a room. (Wikipedia)

I am going to build a 50 foot ledge around 3 walls. I have consideredthe following lighting:
LED
Xenon strip lights
Florescent lights
Incandescent lights

My wife and I figure it would take about 6 x 100 watt light bulbs to light the room normally. That's about 10,000 lumen. We also want the light to be dimmable.

Incandescent produce a fair amount of heat. Also it is hard to find lights that are small and evenly spaced (4 to 6 per foot) so hot spots are not created on the ceiling.

Xenon strip light seem good but expensive. The cheapest I could find was:
http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/docs/indoor/rope/cove/index.html
Xenon Method 1:1 strip of 50 feet: $1092 for 8523 lumen
lights every 2 inches on 1 strip
Xenon Method 2: $1476 for11364 lumen
lights every 3 inches on 2 strips

Florescent lights are out because they are not dimmable. You can do some tricks but dimming is hard for florescence.

LED lighting is a real search for good pricing and a method that would be bright enough.
The cheapest I could find was:
http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/docs/indoor/rope/led/led/index.html

Use the cool white 150 foot rope at $399, I would double it back on itself so 3 strands are go around the 50 foot ledge. The site claims the rope outputs 80 lumens per foot.
That comes to 12,000 lumens. I would like to make or buy a PWM dimmer but that is a question for later.

I found many other LED solutions but they ranged from $800 to $4000. The $399 is a stretch for us, especially if you consider having to get a dimmer and mount a ledge.

I could have done the same plan with incandescent rope lights but I would need more that 3 strands to go around the 50 feet to make it bright enough. They are a lot cheaper but I worried about the heat from all those strands.

So does my LED rope solution seem reasonable? Will I really get as much light as 6 x 100 watt incandescent bulbs?
Is there another comparably priced solution?

hgcomer
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: LED Strip Lights Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't think the led rope / cove lighting are bright enough for your family rooms, why not use led fluorescent lights that may cost less but get more on lumen outputs. The led fluorescent lights can reach up to 110 lm per watt, much brighter than the led strips / rope lights. Just a suggestion.
hgcomer
Semi Newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Led Strip Lights Reply with quote

Hi mmomike, check out the led strip lights here :
http://www.hero-ledstore.com/led-flexible-light-c-8.html
I received my led kits from them last week, free delivery to my door. I purchased 2 x 5m ultra bright led strip tapes and 2x 100w 12v dc power supply and 1x dimmer with remote. Just finished instllations this afternoon when I came back from travelling. Each tape gives me 4000 lumens per room, which is super brightness rated at 6000 kelvin rating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Hacked Gadgets Forum Index -> LED Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: